The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

safety first.... jack up the car and remove the left wheel if you want to work much easy.
I always use a piece of strong rubber under the jack to prevent paint damage. I jack up the car both rear and front to bring it to a straight level. it's important for the gear box oil fill.

so we need this stuff: :-D

I opted for Motul :thumbup: and Spoon Magnetic Drain set as brands. the oil syringe I buy it from a local shop.

the drain bolt of gear box is located just under the right driveshaft. open it up, drain the gear box oil and replace it with the magnetic one. in the gear box will "go" the bolt with the short magnet .

gear box drain bolt torque is 39Nm

the fill bolt is located above the same right driveshaft,

so fill the gear box with oil using the oil syringe. the car must be at straight level to fill it right. the quantity is 1.7 l. you must fill it, until the oil inside the gearbox reaches the fill drain level.

put the fill drain back. bolt torque is 44Nm

as for the engine oil I remove the drain (with the oil inside the engine) and very quickly taped the hole with my finger and replace the drain with the magnetic one, with the longer magnet.

I manage to waste litlle quantity of oil.

bolt torque (oil pan) is 39Nm.

Top up and look for leaks!
i changed my gearbox oil the other day with the stuff from honda, mtx 3 i think it was,
it made a great difference to the gear shift,
maybe a tip for some people, take the filler bolt out first rather than the drain plug just in case it does not come out and you carn't fill the gearbox back up when you have just drained it all :shock:
great write up and pics!
craigyb wrote:Does anyone know if you can fill the gearbox back up using the breather on the top with the rubber cap ?
the gearbox is sealed.. that cap/breather is for the clutch cavity to let this area keep equal pressure at all times.. I wouldn't suggest pouring anything in here - ever :roflmao:

The only recommended way to replace the oil is as shown above.. in theory you should never need to top up as you will only lose fluid if you have a leak or other issue and in most cases all the fluid will need to be replaced
GenuineSince89 wrote:Is there any benefit of having these magnetic bolts???

in theory it will collect any swarf that comes of the gears and moving parts over time and then get back in the system causing extra wear and tear.. most boxes have a magnet in the base for this purpose but the main benefit of the magnetic sump plug is that the swarf can be removed from the box at each oil change

Not an essential item but could have potential benefits..
I've seen a few threads that says you need the car as level as possible. With the car level does all the oil come out of the box as I've seen a few syringes with suction and filling pipes. If it all comes out level then I'll just buy a syringe with a filler pipe, and where would the indicator be to show how much oil is in the box?
chappers51 wrote:I've seen a few threads that says you need the car as level as possible. With the car level does all the oil come out of the box as I've seen a few syringes with suction and filling pipes. If it all comes out level then I'll just buy a syringe with a filler pipe, and where would the indicator be to show how much oil is in the box?
To be honest mate read the above in detail and look at the pictures it explains it all. :)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]