The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By dieselpower
Here's my 'How To' guide on replacing the front brake pads. It is a fairly easy job (takes me 10-15 mins per side) but if you don't know what you are doing leave it to your Honda dealer!! The braking system is a vital part of the car so if in doubt don't do it!

Tools Required

Alloy wheel lock nut key
19mm wheel brace
12mm socket and ratchet handle
19mm open ended spanner
8mm open ended spanner (not essential)
Trolley jack, axel stands and a piece of 4x2
Copper grease
Brake calliper rewind tool (not essential)
A piece of rope/string/cord
New brake pads

Step 1

Slacken wheel nuts on both wheels

Place piece of 4x2 behind rear wheels
Ensure handbrake is tightly on

Step 2

Locate jack under jacking point behind front bumper
Raise the car

Place axel stands under side jacking point and slowly lower car onto stands

Step 3

Remove road wheel and store safely

Remove brake fluid hose retaining bolt

Remove bottom calliper bolt. If bolt spins use 19mm spanner to hold nut on next to rubber boot

Rotate calliper up and tie to suspension securely making sure not to strain fluid hose

Step 4

Slide old pads out of calliper. An 8mm open ended spanner can be used to help ease the pads out. Take care not to damage the disc

Remove the metal shims for the pads. There are two on one pad and one on the other. Clean these with an old rag

Step 5

Push piston fully into calliper. If you don’t have a rewind tool you can use a G-clamp or with a lot of force push the piston with your hands. Make sure to support the back of the calliper as not to damage it

Step 6

Add an even coat of copper grease to the back of the new pads

Refit the metal shims adding an even coat of copper grease to each shim
Make sure to get no grease on the friction material or brake disc

Fit new pads into calliper

Untie rope and lower calliper over the new pads

Step 7

Replace 12mm bolt into calliper and tighten

Replace 12mm bolt into fluid hose bracket and tighten
Replace road wheel and gently tighten wheel nuts

Step 8

Repeat steps 1 to 7 for other side of car

Step 9

Raise car slightly and remove axel stands
Slowly car to the ground
Torque wheel nuts to correct level

Step 10

Check brake fluid level in reservoir and ensure it’s between min and max.
Replace reservoir cap
Pump brake pedal until pedal feels firm again

Step 11

Clean hands and make cup of tea
Admire your handy work! :D

Step 12

Roadtest the car to ensure everything is ok. Make sure to follow bedding-in instructions supplied with the pads. Applying full braking force to new pads can damage and warp your discs.

Hope this helps!! Anyone in the Fife area needing their pads changed I'll be happy to do it for them.

Andrew
By JTT
Great write up mate.

Just one thing, just noticed the metal shims are still attached to my old pads (in my boot) will this be a problem? :oops:
By EvoStu
Bloody brilliant that mate! Nice one! 8)

EvoStu.
By dieselpower
JTT, they are for anti-vibration/squeeling and it gives the piston something smoother to push against. If you've no problems I wouldn't worry about it and just refit them when you next have the wheel off. Don't throw them out though!! :D

Stu - any chance of making this a sticky??!! ;)

Andrew
By EvoStu
dieselpower wrote:Stu - any chance of making this a sticky??!! ;)

Andrew
Of course! Done. :wink:

EvoStu.
By jamesmckelvie
Fantastic detail mate thanks, how long did your originals last?
By dieselpower
Originals lasted 15,500 miles mate. There was a bit of friction material left on them but not much. One pad had a crack from top to bottom :shock:

Pads were replaced for Ferodo DS2500s from the group buys section. Already the pedal feels sharper and the car pulls up quicker (oh, and with the discount they are cheaper than stock!! :D)

Andrew
By mr bilko!
Nice write up and pics mate, well done!

Was thinking of doing this "How to" but pc's on its last legs (new one next week :lol: )

I'll do the rears in a couple of weeks as a "how to"
By G.
Excellent job there dude......
By MarcusTypeR
Superb instructions - only took 30 mins from start to finish - undoing the fluid hose definitely makes the job easier and removing and refitting is simplicity itself!!!!

Cheers

Marcus
By dieselpower
Glad they helped mate :D

It really is one of the simplist brake systems to work on :)
By ibdrew
:D as both a new type r owner and registered member of the club, thanks a lot for your great instructions. my 03 plate20.000 mls is coming up due a service, thanks to your advice I might tackle the pads myself.
ps, loads of family in lochgelly anywhere close to you.
By martin
15 minutes away, in a ford :lol: 10 in the civic. Used this how to job done in 30 minutes, most of the time spent cleaning the wheels. 8)
By bossdrums
Thanks a lot for the info, have just changed my front pads, went for standard pads from dealer at £45.......easy job, my dealer was trying to charge me £60 labour, claiming it was a 3/4 hour job....I just did them both in half an hour........without professional equipment like lifts etc.....just using the standard jack and a couple of bricks......easy !!
By dieselpower
Nice one mate, always good to save £60! :D
By mini_ron
Nice "how to"

found it v helpful, doing the fronts tonight if its not raining!
By S.T
Cheers for the info. It was a big help.
By dieselpower
:thumbup:
By R-Mann
Does anyone know the recommended torque setting for the calliper mounting bolts? I'm looking at doing mine this weekend as the dealer wants £92+ for doing the job I thought I might as well do it myself and have money left ova for a good night out! :lol: :wink:
By dieselpower
Tight but not mentally tight is what I go for, I tend only to torque the wheel nuts - sorry :)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]