The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By m4tty
Not sure if it is just me, but i can't see the pics, i need to do mine this week, their squeeling like a little pig :oops:
By drumglynn
Thanks, the photos and details were really helpful. I can't believe how easy it was to change the brake pads.So easy ;stealers price a joke!
By steve6747
Hi, im not trying to be a kill-joy on this 'How to' as it is very good but just one thing i think you have missed, dont you have to undo the reservoir cap first before you touch the caliper? so that when you wind back the caliper the fluid will rise without any pressure (making sure you have an old rag wrapped around the reservoir incase of over spill) and then after you fit your new pads you should pump the brake pedal a couple of times so the caliper gets to grip with the pads and then check your fluid level and top up if needs be then put the fluid cap back on, fit the wheels and lower the motor to the ground then tighten the wheel nuts and then test it actually works.

Thats the way i have done it and it works for me, it stops the sponginess effect.
By LASHER
changed my pads today.
great guide.
By mike_wall15
steve6747 wrote:Hi, im not trying to be a kill-joy on this 'How to' as it is very good but just one thing i think you have missed, dont you have to undo the reservoir cap first before you touch the caliper? so that when you wind back the caliper the fluid will rise without any pressure (making sure you have an old rag wrapped around the reservoir incase of over spill) and then after you fit your new pads you should pump the brake pedal a couple of times so the caliper gets to grip with the pads and then check your fluid level and top up if needs be then put the fluid cap back on, fit the wheels and lower the motor to the ground then tighten the wheel nuts and then test it actually works.

Thats the way i have done it and it works for me, it stops the sponginess effect.
If new pads are fitted from the start, then the level in the reservoir will go down as the pads get lower. By fitting new pads the level will rise to the top again.
The only problems occur if the fluid level is topped up during the pad's life!

Pressing the brake once after fitment will adjust the level of the fluid so that you can assess the situation. And a "sponginess" feel would be noticed if the brakes hadn't been blead correctly, but finger's crossed none of that will have been messed with!

I agree that some areas could be slightly adjusted in the guide but someone who has done light mechanical work before would realise this :D
By dieselpower
The guide was written over three years ago and since writing it I have changed in the region of 40 sets of CTR pads.

When I get the chance I'll update it.
By Kenny
dieselpower wrote:since writing it I have changed in the region of 40 sets of CTR pads.
I think about 20 of them were mine :mrgreen:
By Bill ctr*
Nice work all round dude :D just like to add a small tip ! when pushing your piston back keep an eye on your fluid level ! honda service will top this up regardless ! your new pads will take up more area hence the piston needs pushed further back ! brake fluid overspill not recomended, hope this helps :D
By WestYorkshireman
Used this guide to change my pads yesterday, excellent stuff.
Made the job a doddle to do, cheers :D
By alfybet
excellent guide. Thanks for that. No probs.
By RobL
used the guid to chanage mine last nite spot on.. (agreed with the resivoir cap thing i took mine off to push the capliper back) :D

Cheers for taking the time to write it dieselpower 8)
By Liam Type-R
was just about to change mine and now the pics have gone?

HELP!

any chance of the pics going back up????

cheers!
By Kenny
I am sure if you pm Dieselpower and ask nicely he will sort the pics for you :wink:
By jimmy-ctr
do you think he would mind if i did too? :D

got new disc's and pad's coming tommorow :lol:

jimmy
By Liam Type-R
Its ok now, i went by the writing, took my ones off and there is till plenty left on, so will keep the new ones for another day!!!

Anyone, changed the discs and done a write up?

cheers guys! 8)
By RooDBwoY
i can't believe i've read these three pages and no-one at any point has suggested bleeding the system out after re-fitting. you'd be surprised at how easily air can get into the system.

i would ALWAYS recommend giving, at the bare minimum, both front brakes a good bleed after changing the front pads :)

i know in theory, you *shouldn't* need to, but it may even give the pedal a firmer feel as they may not have been bled properly beforehand.....
By Rtype
Please can somebody put the pics back up, this was/is a great thread and now that i need to finally change my discs, the pics are gone :bigcry:

Many thanks
By mark@bolwell54
HI mate,

I know alot of people keep asking but I cant see the pictures anymore? I could last week? I plan on fitting new pads this weekend so pictures would be really helpful.

Peace.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]