The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By R-Mann
Excellent instructions. Changing the brake pads was a very quick and simple job. Only prob was I was turned my back as the car was lowering off the trolley jack (BIG MISTAKE!!! :( ) and the jack slipped off the front jack point and punched straight through the engine sump - D'oh!!!

Moral of the story - Concentrate on what you're doing + small Halford trolley jacks don't really have a big enough head for the job.

Still - at least I saved the labour on the brake-pads :roll: . Shame about the cost of the new engine sump though! (I hope I haven't damaged anything else!).

Just waiting for car to be towed to the dealer for repair now.

Did you want to add the step of - Let car fall off jack just before the make cup of tea? :oops:
By R-Mann
mini_ron wrote:does anyone else get a squeal from there new pads untill there well warm??
Don't know as I can't drive my car now!! :lol:

I was getting a squeeking noise when cruising but not under braking. As the dealer said I had another 3-4k left in the pads but didn't want to do anything but replace them, I thought I'd have a look for myself. I'll let you know. Hopefully I get the car back for the weekend.
By Rooney
R-Mann wrote:Excellent instructions. Changing the brake pads was a very quick and simple job. Only prob was I was turned my back as the car was lowering off the trolley jack (BIG MISTAKE!!! :( ) and the jack slipped off the front jack point and punched straight through the engine sump - D'oh!!!

Moral of the story - Concentrate on what you're doing + small Halford trolley jacks don't really have a big enough head for the job.

Still - at least I saved the labour on the brake-pads :roll: . Shame about the cost of the new engine sump though! (I hope I haven't damaged anything else!).

Just waiting for car to be towed to the dealer for repair now.

Did you want to add the step of - Let car fall off jack just before the make cup of tea? :oops:

BUFFOON :oops: :oops: :oops:
By R-Mann
Rooney wrote:

I was waiting for that one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :silly:
By Rooney
R-Mann wrote:
Rooney wrote:

I was waiting for that one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :silly:
Well what do you expect :?: :?:

:bumsmack:

Just don't do any home mechanics any more as it costs you more in the end
By cwwoodley
when you take the calipers off to change the pads how do you take off the second part of the caliper isnt there 2 bolts on the reverse??

please does anyone know this
By dieselpower
You only need to take the whole caliper and carrier off if you are take the disc off or wanting to paint the whole lot.

To get the caliper off take the bolt the caliper spins on out and there are 2 (18mm I think) bolts that hold the carrier on. Make sure you don't strain the fluid hose ;)
By chappers51
my pads need replacing but i dont have cooper grease does it matter if i dont use it
By dieselpower
Not really, it just stops them squeeling a bit. The pads you buy may have a small packet included :)
By chappers51
cool ill give it a go tomorrow

when it comes to pushing the pistion back in cant u just take the top off the brake reservior push the piston in then put the cap back on
By dieselpower
If you want, just make sure it doesn't overflow.
By chappers51
sorted ill let u know how i get on tomorrow
By chappers51
just changed the pads excellent guide mate even a novice like me could do it :D
By KCHESTER
R-Mann wrote:Does anyone know the recommended torque setting for the calliper mounting bolts? I'm looking at doing mine this weekend as the dealer wants £92+ for doing the job I thought I might as well do it myself and have money left ova for a good night out! :lol: :wink:
I asked SB Honda this one and they told me 23Nm / 17lbft
By scy59
Oops! The pics aren't there any more. :?
Any chance someone could help a newbie like me out and re-post these pics?
By juz1
yeah come on these pics would come in handy
By mike_wall15
Top How-To guide, many thanks! :D
Followed this this afternoon, I don't think I'd have attempted it without a guide, but you literally can't go wrong! :D
By paul
is there a how-to for front discs change?

great thread this 1

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]