The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Hi,

I am about to embark on a DIY full stereo install, so decided to try and read as many guides on the subject as possible.

I found loads of fragmented bits of information, and decided it might be worth cobbling it all together into a single document which can evolve ino the Mother of all ICE guides.

So far I have nicked guides and pics from the following people (Please shout if you take offence). These are the people that made the guide possible..I just stuck it all together in a neat order.

I will add to this as i do my own project though...

The following people have had their stuff used in this guide:

Dalco
Twiglet
Jon C
Schizophonic
College Hills Honda
sk8flex
TazR

There is a chunk of info still missing, but im sure people will be able to help

1) How to take the plastic interior sill piece apart for the amp wires to go down

2) How to construct a decent tweeter mount behind the wing mirror

3) Better info on disconecting the door handle cables

4) Fitting ISO adapter and facia apapter

So if you have any info you wish to be added please PM me... and I will add it in.

Hope this helps people?

http://www.itsnotarace.com/CTRO/stereofitting2.doc

Steve
By Harv
That is quality. Nice one 8)
By gringosteve
civictyper2004 wrote:What about a section on how to fir double dins?
Good idea.... anyone want to contribute?

Basically if you want anything adding..just PM me and it will get added, this will turn into a big phat ICE guide that everyone owns.
By civictyper2004
i should be getting mine in the next week or so, will be more than happy to take a few pics during the install and string a couple of sentences together for you.

Chris
By gringosteve
civictyper2004 wrote:i should be getting mine in the next week or so, will be more than happy to take a few pics during the install and string a couple of sentences together for you.

Chris
Excellent... would be much appreciated if you could mate
By apsmith
Excellent stuff, just what I need to install my first amp.
There are a couple of parts that need more detail for a novice like me though.

1) How to remove the plastic trim below the passenger door to run the power cable under it.

2) "Screw piece of wood to back of seat then screw amp to it" - more details please: Do you mean drill holes into the metal seat back (what size holes, what size screws)? Do you need to remove the layer of foam between the seat back material and the metal? If you dont remove this foam, how do you know that you are not going to drill into a bracket or something? Won't the seat back material stretch and possibly tear as your screw the wood on and compress the foam? If you drill right through the foam, and screw a piece of wood onto it, will the foam pop back up again when I come to remove the amp and sell the car? (I want the car to look as 'untouched' as possible). What is the best way to make holes in the material so that they aren't noticable when the amp is removed?

These all seem obvious questions but I have searched the forums and not found any answers. They are just the sort of thing that needs to go in a guide like this.

Cheers,
Andy,
By gringosteve
1) There is no need to remove this (im updating the doc as i type), I managed to just feed the wire under the plastic trim at this point... far quicker.

2) This is very simple. Create your wood mounts from MDF, then drill holes into the MDF.

Screw the MDF into the seat directly (no drilling or foam removal required) using self tapping wood screws. Mine were 1 1/2" long i think. The seats have a wooden back to them which makes it easy to screw into.

You can feel the backs of the seats to look for any brackets etc before you screw in.

Hope that helps... will add to the guide

Steve
By apsmith
gringosteve wrote: Screw the MDF into the seat directly (no drilling or foam removal required) using self tapping wood screws. Mine were 1 1/2" long i think. The seats have a wooden back to them which makes it easy to screw into.
Strange - when I looked under the material on the back of my seats they had a metal back. I have a Type-S maybe this is different? What about the material doesn't it stretch or tear?

Andy.
By gringosteve
Maybe the seats are different on a type S to a type R.

I didnt look under the cloth, since it requires unzipping the seat covers. I just got selft tapping screws and went for it..
By DirtyTypeR
Sweet :D Thanks folks,... will be usin this next week :smile: :smile:
By obbzi
Very good guide but no info on rear speakers :cry:
By DirtyTypeR
obbzi wrote:Very good guide but no info on rear speakers :cry:
from what i remember, they pop out with a screwdriver quite easy :D
By elfman
Ok im new to modding civic but in my focus i ran the pwoer and audio down seperate sides of the car as in power down teh left and speaker down the right.. is this possible by just pushing the wires under on the drivers side as well?
By obbzi
Forgot to reply to this, good guide, helped me out a lot! Many thanks :cheerspal:
By gringosteve
elfman wrote:Ok im new to modding civic but in my focus i ran the pwoer and audio down seperate sides of the car as in power down teh left and speaker down the right.. is this possible by just pushing the wires under on the drivers side as well?
yup .... no reason why you could do that .. but if you are running a lot of wires there isnt enough room just to push them under there..and its easier to just take the center console apart.
By gringosteve
obbzi wrote:Forgot to reply to this, good guide, helped me out a lot! Many thanks :cheerspal:
Cool...no worries mate!
By dragon_irl
replaced my HU yesterday using the instructions. chuffed to bits here. the instructions were absolutely spot on and a great help. had to trim the fascia adapter to get it to fit but overall only took me about 90 minutes including a trip to halfords for the wiring harness!

thanks to all, great work and decent sounds
By gringosteve
Wicked glad its working.

Like i said, i cant take full credit as its several guides stuck together, with some extra descriptions by myself.

WIll be using it this weekend to take my car apart and back to normal ready to trade in for my new motor.
By obbzi
What car you getting gringosteve?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]