The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By BadBoy
Maplin or Halfords. I prefer a normal led :)
By JPS3290
BadBoy wrote:Maplin or Halfords. I prefer a normal led :)
Yea me too :) Although i think mine might be too bright :oops: Seems to light the whole damn car up at night lol :lol:
By ellebarto
I mentioned this to my mate who designs electrical kit and he reckons he could custom make a button or small screen panel with something like 'Vtec Engaged' with the led inside it............

Think I might try it out. Knowing what the led means would be a nice touch methinks 8)
By TazR
I'm working on something similar.

On the instrument panel itself, there are 'spare' locations where on other models you would have other indicators, glow plug etc

EG, when you put full beam on you have the blue lamp symbol light up on the dash, i know there are spare coloured areas on the dash, i will use red one and make a stencil with the word 'VTEC' put it behind the spare location with the bulb.

The when you hit VTEC the panel will light up and flash 'VTEC'.
By ellebarto
Now that would be one step better and very nice but I reckon way beyond my expertise.

Getting at that panel must be pretty difficult??
By craigmk2crx
That sounds like a good idea :wink: I've just fitted a AFR meter & shift light :D so i'm in the mood for testing out new ideas :roll:

I may have to have a closer inspection of the dash lpanel in the CRX when i get it back :wink:

Craig 8)
By TazR
Teemu S wrote:Is that mod safe 2 do or can it blow ECU? :roll:
It's perfectly safe, you are not sending any extra signal or voltage to the ECU, you are simply 'splicing' onto the 12v+ signal that is sent to the ECU.

The ECU still recieves the same input, it's like splicing a 12v wire to feed your stereo, it does nothing to the part that the source wire is connected too.
By ellebarto
Teemu S wrote:Could u send more wiring pictures...?
Yeah this would be good. I know your instructions are pretty good but I'm not very confident at doing this at all and a numpty proof diagram would be great.

:roll:
By wabe
Where have i to put de ground cable?
Where can i find the ground in the civic?

Thanks
By gonzo
Anything metallic is ground! But the easiest place is at the back of the ciggarette socket - use a scotch clip to attach to the black wire
By Rob69
I'm working on something similar.

On the instrument panel itself, there are 'spare' locations where on other models you would have other indicators, glow plug etc

EG, when you put full beam on you have the blue lamp symbol light up on the dash, i know there are spare coloured areas on the dash, i will use red one and make a stencil with the word 'VTEC' put it behind the spare location with the bulb.

The when you hit VTEC the panel will light up and flash 'VTEC'.
Something like this? They say they don't offer anything for i-VTEC but i think they look quite good.

http://www.jujeracing.com/vtec_light_pi ... _light.htm[/quote]
By Gizmo-R
Another good place to have an led is if any of you have got an aftermarket alarm, you can use the LED below the speedo dial that usually flashes for the factory alarm. Dunno if you can get to the wires of it though...
By SR-71
TazR wrote:
Teemu S wrote:Is that mod safe 2 do or can it blow ECU? :roll:
It's perfectly safe, you are not sending any extra signal or voltage to the ECU, you are simply 'splicing' onto the 12v+ signal that is sent to the ECU.

The ECU still recieves the same input, it's like splicing a 12v wire to feed your stereo, it does nothing to the part that the source wire is connected too.
Ok, but does the LED not draw current too, and possibly cause problems with the current going into the ECU? I know a little bit about electronics, but you probably know more than me on this :oops:
By Gizmo-R
Well if your worried about current draw then use a reley to activate the led but with such low current consumption I dont think there is any need for the relay!!!
By ellebarto
Anyone actually done this and can confirm it doesn't screw with the current to the vtec controller??
By Gizmo-R
Well just reading thru this thread and all it suggests is that from the ECU there is a wire that goes to 12v (or live) when the VTEC is engaged so therefore all that wire is doing is supply current to the LED and telling some other deveice attached to it along the line that 'the fat lady is singin!!!' so i couldn't see there being any problems.
By TazR
ellebarto wrote:Anyone actually done this and can confirm it doesn't screw with the current to the vtec controller??
Me :!: :D
By gonzo
TazR wrote:
ellebarto wrote:Anyone actually done this and can confirm it doesn't screw with the current to the vtec controller??
Me :!: :D
And Me (Thanx to Taz!) :lol: :lol:

Works a treat! :lol: :lol:

http://gallery.themspros.com/view_photo ... VTEC_Light

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]