The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By TazR
You need:
- Wire - 18AWG min.
- Tap Splices
- 1 - 5mm LED (pick a color)
- 1 resistor (330, 470, 680, 1K OHM, you pick)

Here goes...
Remove the cowel in the passenger footwell under the glovebox.

Then you will see a shiny silver box with a lot of wires going to it... that's the ECU. On the middle plug (it's white) you should see a green wire with a yellow stripe in the top center pin. That's the VTEC wire. You need to put a tap splice on it.... trace it back a few inches (there is only 1 green/yellow stripe wire) and put the tap in place.
The other wire you need to find is a suitable ground.
Figure out where you want the LED to be. I wouldn't put it somewhere high in the car, it'll be on more than you think. Put it somewhere you can see out of the corner of your eye. Drill a 4.8/5mm hole and put the LED holder in (no need to glue)... be careful where you pick, you need to be able to get to it from behind.
Time to set the LED up. You need to put the resistor in series with the ground lead of the LED (for those who don't speak electronics, you need to hook up one resistor lead to the shorter lead on the LED and the other end to the wire you grounded). I used heat shrink tubing, but soldering also works. I wouldn't use electrical tape. Wire the other lead from the LED to the wire you tapped into the ECU with. Boom.... done.
Image[/img]
Last edited by TazR on Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By gonzo
Fantastic!!!

Cheers!!!

This sections already turning out to be a good one!! I'm off to raid my electronics box and take the car to bits again!!!! :lol:
By andyx1x
A slight change of subject, sorry!

Would it be possible to fit a 'shift' light in a similar way? :?

I keep getting carried away and hitting the rev limiter while overtaking! :twisted:
By JPS3290
Thats excellant Taz mate! :D :) :D :)

Where abouts this u place your LED? Might do this when im off work next week. If i do i'll take some pics while doing it that may be of help to others. :)
By gonzo
Fitted the led to the dash etc and chased the wires through last night but can't find the green cable on the ecu....is it at the bottom of the box? Anoyone have a pic?!!
Cheers!!
By kinonai
I read that the i-vtec system works differently to vtec (2 vs 1 stage) which is probably why it comes on more than you expect?
By TazR
gonzo wrote:Fitted the led to the dash etc and chased the wires through last night but can't find the green cable on the ecu....is it at the bottom of the box? Anoyone have a pic?!!
Cheers!!
Sorry, i worded it wrong.

Remove the cowel in the footwell under the glovebox, in the middle connector you will see the green cable with yellow stripe.
By TazR
Any joy yet Gonzo??.

I fitted a flashing LED and mounted it in the small panel, next to the steering column, looks like a speaker grille.

When you hit 5900 the LED flashes all the time you are in the VTEC zone.

Anyone else done it??
By gonzo
Cheers for the pics....i havent finished fitting it yet as i've been out most of the day but will be doing it 2morrow as well as finishing off my red neon footwell lights!!

I put the led a little higher but in the same area....i never thought of a flashing one...hmmmm!!!! :lol: Out of interest can you remember the size resistor you used?!
By JPS3290
TazR wrote:Any joy yet Gonzo??.

I fitted a flashing LED and mounted it in the small panel, next to the steering column, looks like a speaker grille.

Anyone else done it??
going be fitting mine on Tuesday :)

Rather than fitting a seperate resistor you could just buy the LEDs with built in ones designed for 12V supplys. Get them from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk). I used them before when i took the door pins out and replaced them with grommets/flashing LEDS on my last car.

Taz u sprayed that thing ur LED is on? Im sure mine is black??
By TazR
JPS3290 wrote:

Anyone else done it??
going be fitting mine on Tuesday :)

Rather than fitting a seperate resistor you could just buy the LEDs with built in ones designed for 12V supplys. Get them from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk). I used them before when i took the door pins out and replaced them with grommets/flashing LEDS on my last car.

Taz u sprayed that thing ur LED is on? Im sure mine is black??
I agree, my led had a resistor in it, i just made it simple so people can get the basics, hence i fitted a flashing LED.

And yes i have sprayed that piece, goes well i think.
By DJ Dunk
So the light comes on only after 5900 rpm ? You mentioned it'd come on more often then you think ?

Looks very good Taz. A great How To as well :)
By TazR
DJ Dunk wrote:So the light comes on only after 5900 rpm ? You mentioned it'd come on more often then you think ?

I was being sort of sarcastic about the light coming on more often, as in you just can't help going into the VTEC, for the noise.

And yes, as soon as you hit VTEC/5900 the light flashes and stays on while above that rev (in the VTEC).
By DJ Dunk
TazR wrote:
DJ Dunk wrote:So the light comes on only after 5900 rpm ? You mentioned it'd come on more often then you think ?

I was being sort of sarcastic about the light coming on more often, as in you just can't help going into the VTEC, for the noise.

And yes, as soon as you hit VTEC/5900 the light flashes and stays on while above that rev (in the VTEC).
Excellent :D going have to sort me one of these.

Hmmm . . . . maybe as a trigger to some under-car neons as I enter Vtec :lol: Just kidding ;) But seriously, technically it could be used to trigger all sorts of events . . . . off to the lab methinks :D
By Sparky
Nice!!!
The only problem I can see is, what happens if the led dies and goes short circuit?
I know it’s unlikely but what is the original purpose of the green & yellow wire?
By BadBoy
you could always fit a low amp fuse to protect the green and yellow wire.
By Krysten CTR
DJ Dunk wrote: Hmmm . . . . maybe as a trigger to some under-car neons as I enter Vtec :lol: Just kidding ;) But seriously, technically it could be used to trigger all sorts of events . . . . off to the lab methinks :D
How about triggering the mute on the stereo so you can hear the fantastic VTEC kicking in?

8)

As well as feeling the car hit your spine :twisted:
By JPS3290
Krysten CTR wrote:
DJ Dunk wrote: Hmmm . . . . maybe as a trigger to some under-car neons as I enter Vtec :lol: Just kidding ;) But seriously, technically it could be used to trigger all sorts of events . . . . off to the lab methinks :D
How about triggering the mute on the stereo so you can hear the fantastic VTEC kicking in?

8)

As well as feeling the car hit your spine :twisted:
That would be soo easy to do with H/Us that have a mute input for mobile phones....like mine ;)

Anyway, i fitted mine yesterday afternoon and it works a treat. ;)
By ellebarto

Anyone else done it??
Where did you get your flashing led from mate??

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]