The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By TonyCTR
Glad to see my original pdf still gainfully employed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will be repeating the exercise with CTR2 very shortly - but this will also include a non-standard Sony CD changer and interface.

T
By dTEA
Many Thanks guys for leaving this PDF file up as most of the links to stereo removal have been deleted so you get some text and no pics or vids! I will be giving this a whirl before the weekend so my Alpine can go in and then I can have my iPod back, along with the sub and other stuff!!
By deeny
just though i would add , that theres no need to put paint scraper in which mite damage your plastic but instead drop the glove box down and put your hand inside behind left hand side of plastic and push from the inside , the clip comes out and just work your way along the top, prevents damage to plastics.you can also get at the left hand screw through the glove compartment when its dropped down with a phillips screwdriver .
By mjhamilton
great guide.. used it today.. just one thing to add

I do not see it noted anywhere that 3rd party stereos (Pioneer, sony, etc) wont fit in the OEM bracket properly.. I found them about 4mm too narrow and if srewed in the set holes it caused the dashboard panel to compress slightly and not fit back properly.. also the unit will be around 10mm recessed into the slot...

I found that I had to use the cage provided with my Pioneer but this alone caused the Autoleads surround to 'buckle' under the units weight.. i then managed to screw a couple of screw into the headunit side that then just 'rested' on the OEM frame to prevent the 'twisting' from happening.

Anyone got any tips on this?.. is there a metal frame for non oem units that can replace the oem frame to make the fit better?
By hotwhip-R
Great guide! Just used it to replace the front loading 6 play disc player with a new one, all done in around an hour.

The directions were excellent and the pictures made it easy.

Thanks
By JackA
brilliant guide, i shall be using this at the weekend :thumbup:
By danny-scott2308
brilliant guide the only thing i will say is the two bottom bolts that hold the mount in are a sod,so i got 8mm spanner(ring) and cut in half using hacksaw and it fits in the gap a treat!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
By JackA
danny-scott2308 wrote:brilliant guide the only thing i will say is the two bottom bolts that hold the mount in are a sod,so i got 8mm spanner(ring) and cut in half using hacksaw and it fits in the gap a treat!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
:lol: thats actually a well good idea
By phil hill
Why do you need to be mess around with all this contortionist business to get the stereo out.
Takes less than 5 mins if you use a bit of nous.

Pull on the gear gaitor to ease the middle of the lower panel up and pop your finger in to unclip either side.

Then just pull the whole silver panel with the stereo on forward and upwards...only held in with spring clips...plenty of slack oon the wiring for the fan and switches etc.

Now just get a Philips screwdriver on the screws holding the radio in.

Reversal is push it all home.
By trev27
phil hill wrote:Why do you need to be mess around with all this contortionist business to get the stereo out.
Takes less than 5 mins if you use a bit of nous.

Pull on the gear gaitor to ease the middle of the lower panel up and pop your finger in to unclip either side.

Then just pull the whole silver panel with the stereo on forward and upwards...only held in with spring clips...plenty of slack oon the wiring for the fan and switches etc.

Now just get a Philips screwdriver on the screws holding the radio in.

Reversal is push it all home.
That seems easier
By DaN-GuM
fitted a cd changer today. took some random pics, may help someone out.

For lower panel removal i used a flat blade screwdriver, unclip ciggy light and hazard switch.

Next, pull the glovebox down (push in each side and will fall all the way)

On the otherside remove the panel by turning the knob

Next, i loosened off the 2 8mm bolts which hold the cage in. I used a 1/4" socket set, with both extensions on.

I then removed this small metal frame at the front. I have seen that with a sharp pull you can pull the top part off, but i aint the strongest and failed drastically haha. As the top part is clipped into this frame i removed it.

Now using a flat blade i gently eased the top part out. I only needed to pull it out so far to plug in the cd changer cable, but for complete removal you would have to unclip all the heater controls etc.

Not a full guide i know, but hope the pics help someone out as the guides on here seem to have gone.

Dan

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]