The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By flateric
Ok... I'll try to make an how-to with pictures of the installing process! :D
By Bram
I asked the Honda dealership about the warranty issue and they said that the only thing it would invalidate would be any problem which occured on the ignition circuit. He said he's had quite a few CTR's in ( springfield, Newcastle) and has never heard of any problems as a result of one being fitted :wink:
By flateric
I've just finished removing the lower cover of the steering wheel! Now I'm having dificulties knowing which cables too handle!

Found the brown plug and the black and white wire. Two more left, correct? (Ground and another one)

It's a little hard to handle the wires... they're too tight!

Picture:
By flateric
There are 3 wires coming from the relay: 2 red and 1 black.

One of the red ones connects to the thick black/white wire on the brown plug (the one connected to terminal 87 on the relay).

What about the other red wire coming from the relay and the black one coming also from the relay? Where should I connect them?

Can anyone help me with this?
By Wayne'o
the other red wire on the relay attach to the black and red wire on the brown plug it should be basically right next to the black and white onethen all you need to do is get the power for it through your cigarette lighter. hope this helps bud i just fitted one today
By flateric
For the power I should use the black wire, correct? Can't I get power from anywhere else near the brown plug? I'm not going to put the button in the cigarette lighter place...
By Wayne'o
yeah the black wires correct, you can use any power thats there but you can connect to the lighter cables and run it back to the button so you can keep the lighter there too
By flateric
But is there a way to get power from one of the brown plug wires?
By flateric
Anyone can help me answering the question above? ;)
By Wayne'o
sorry mate not that i know of :oops:
By 7EON
People who have put the starter button in but not where the cig lighter is have just sourced the power from the cig lighter. It's not hard to do, just tap into it. It easily accesible. Even if there was power from the wires off the brown plug it would be hard to do as those wires are really tight.

Hope this helps. Howcome u are taking so long to do it? Just spend an afternoon doing it! It all comes together once u have the balls to do it mate instead of asking loads of little questions on here :lol:
By flateric
7EON: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not taking so long to do it... I've just looked at it last weekend. I'm asking all these questions now so that in the next weekend I can fit with no problems! :P

Btw... thanks for helping! ;)
By flateric
Finally... the button is in place and working! :D

As promised, here are some pictures of the fitting procedure. I used the Starter.doc from the 1st post as guide. Hope this pictures can be used as a complement to that document.

Brown plug, where is the thick black/white wire:

Brown plug disconnected, for better view of the black/white wire:

Dash with lower cover removed. Here you can see the wires that connect to the cigarrete lighter:

Wires from the relay already connected to the cigarrete lighter wires (red-yellow/green; black-black); I've cuted the 2 wires and connected them with a connector like the one shown in the picture:

Thick black/white wire already connected with red wire from the relay. This one was hard to connect :?... I was trying to connect them as I connected the ones from the cigarrete lighter. But theres no space to handle the wires, so I soldered them together and used a piece of rubber to isolate them:

Place where the relay will stay:

The button in is place... I'm just waiting for Composite Guru's CF surrounding! ;)

Now... I only have to:
- Hot glue the relay in that place shown in the picture
- Try to fix the loose wires so that they don't make any noise with the car moving

Hope this pictures help you guys that want to fit one of these buttons! ;)

Btw... thanks to all of you who helped me, answering to all my questions! :)
By 7EON
Nice one mate :D Looks like you have taken time over it, well worth the effort, esp making sure the wires are all done properly do ti doesnt make any noises when the car goes over bumps lol.
By cwwoodley
Hi sorry to bother you again, i have soldered all contacts with the fag lighter and made sure that end is all good.
I then cut some of the plastic coating off the black and white wire and soldered the ignition wire to the black and white wire and still nothing, like before the relay is clicking but the car isnt turning over,
Did you cut the black and white wire, or just tap in to it like i am doing?

i am really stuck, i cant think what it can be that is not letting it start!

anymore help would be greatly recieved
By flateric
I've cuted the black/white wire... but what matters is if it's well soldered!

Check the relay... the one that I bought from eBay had the wires connected badly. Two of them were in the wrong position. Use the Starter.doc as a guide...
By cwwoodley
right then! i have soldered all the wires in the right place and to the right relay positions and i have soldered the red ignition wire to the black and white wire and NOTHING

i know the relay is getting the power from the fag lighter cus its clickin when I've kissed my teddy bear the button is pushed but its justy not starting the car, can some one please add me to msn or something so i can get this up and running

[email protected]
By flateric
Does the button has light? The "Engine Start" should be lighten up...

Let's confirm it's all ok:

Terminal 30: Connects to cigarette lighter cable (yellow / green);
Terminal 85: Connects to cigarette lighter cable (black);
Terminal 86: Trigger source. Start Signal from switch (Pin 1);
Terminal 87: To Starter Wire (Black/White).

Do you have the wires connected like refered above?

If yes, try to press and hold the button to see if the car does anything...

PS: I've added you to my contacts in MSN...
By cwwoodley
right i know wot the problem is, everything is wired up fine, its the bloody switch inside the starter button, its not making contact, so i have to either get on to the bloke that sold it to me and get him to give another one but the thing is that i have cut bits off and sanded th button, so i doubt he will give me another.
By flateric
:( That's bad :(

BTW... just finished installing the CF surrounding from Composite Guru! :D

Here are some pics:

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this job! :D

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]