The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By cwwoodley
Right! a quick update, i had to buy a new buton as i wasnt getting a refund! and i have tried the new button and YES it worked the 1st time,so i tried it again and nothing :cry:

Can someone please talk me through all the wires and colours, as i think i have done it right but sometimes it helps to get someone else to check your work.

1st question, im using the fag lighter to get the power to the relay, what wire is pos (power) and which is neg (ground) this is going IN to the back of the fag lighter?Is green and yellow is (ground) and black is live(power)?

and the live goes to position 30 on the relay? using the red wire?

ground goes to the 86 on the relay using the black wire? then from the same connector a thinner black wire comes out and goes in to the left hand hole in the little plug that plugs in to the button (if the little plug is layed down so it sits on the little plastic ridges as legs and you can see the silver bits facing you)

relay 87 connects to the thick black and white wire at the stearing wheel plug and a thinner red wire goes to the button and sits int he middle slot of the little plastic plug

now the last thinner wire is on its own and i have yellow and that goes straight to the right slot in the little plastic plug that fits in to the button

i think i have covered all that i need to check, please please please someone help me in pictures or directly chatting to me i dont mind i just want this to work!
By cwwoodley
yeah i have read through that and i have done it to the list but i just dont understand y it isnt working i have checked and checked it and cant to find what is wrong!
By cwwoodley
im using the fag lighter to get the power to the relay, what wire is pos (power) and which is neg (ground) this is going IN to the back of the fag lighter?Is green and yellow is (ground) and black is live(power)? or the other way round?
By flateric
cwwoodley wrote:im using the fag lighter to get the power to the relay, what wire is pos (power) and which is neg (ground) this is going IN to the back of the fag lighter?Is green and yellow is (ground) and black is live(power)? or the other way round?
It's the other way round... The green/yellow is for power and the black is for ground. Hope this helps...
By Yaustar
Just to say thanks tazR nice easy how to guide! fitted mine within 20mins as the dash was already out.

Thanks
By DAve_
Is the engine turned off by the button also?? e.g if someone was to press it while moveing the engine would turn off.... Wouldnt fill me with joy that.. :/ May just stick with the Clifford remote start =)
By Chief
DAve_ wrote:Is the engine turned off by the button also?? e.g if someone was to press it while moveing the engine would turn off.... Wouldnt fill me with joy that.. :/ May just stick with the Clifford remote start =)
If someone presses it while the cars running it will turn the starter motor over which is not good. The button is only for starting the car.
By DAve_
ah so the same as if you were to turn the key while the engine is on.. i see now..
By gynads
will this relay do away with the 3rd click on the ignition? ie it will now only start with the button?
By phreakmunkay
depends if you splice into the wire between igniton barrel and starter, or you cut it totally!
By gynads
cool, cheers, anyone in Lincolnshire fancy lending a hand?
By goku4ever
just bought one from the ebay...it came with wires and rely

anyway..
connection as follwing;

black-black(cig)

red(12v) green/yellow(cig)

red- black/white

push the button and nuthin happens

also tried connecting yellow/black, like the instructions gven...but the rely clicks and nuthin happns

what im i doin wrong
By terry_lakeside
Just brought the starter button kit, wired it as per the TazR guide, and the button lights up, but when you press the button it just buzzes and wont start the car??? aslo when you turn the key 2 clicks the car starts up??? very stange, iv tried wiring the relay a couple of different ways but makes not difference?

if i connect the realy as follows:-

87 - black/white
86 - yellow wire
30 - live from cig
85 - ground from cig

nothing happens at all, no light , no clicking nothing,

yet if wire 87 upto 87a then the light comes on and i get the buzzing??

any ideas?????
By Andy oo
Ive just ordered one of these kits from that ebay guy.

Hopefully it will install smoothly even though i have no electrical background.

BTW is the button a perfect fit in the hazard button hole or does it need modifying? :-D
By Andy oo
Ok so is anyone reading this thread anymore or is it old news?

I got my button but it doesnt work (surprise surprise!) No light, no clicking, no nothing!

Ive triple checked my wiring but ive noticed the instructions you get with the button are different to the ones in the starter guide on this forum (the yellow and black wires are switched over on the relay box) but it didnt work either way. My cigar lighter is working so its got a good live and ground.

Ive asked the guy for a replacement so see what happens after that, but these seem very hit and miss as to wether they work or not. :???:
By kev_croombs
Andy I am having exactly the same problems you describe.

Got mine off ebay, arrived this morning just spent the last 3 hours outside with my neighbours trying to get it too work.

As you say both relay diagrams are different. My lighter works but not the button.

Fortunately the car will still work with the key so all is not totally lost.

Did you get any response form the ebay guy? I have shaved some bits of mine to make it fit so not sure if i'll get a refund/replacement.

Have you got yours working yet?
By SteveJenkin
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed here before.

Has anyone fitted the S2000 start button in place of the Hazard Warning Light switch and moving the Hazard Warning Light switch in place of the cigarette lighter?

If so did you have any problems?

Many thanks.

P.S If there is anyone in Cornwall that reads this post and didn't fit it themselves, where did you get it done?

Cheers, Steve. :thumbup:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]