The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By mcilwraith
This is how to program a new fob/remote on a facelift (2004-) civic type-r. You can buy fobs on ebay for about £10-15. It is easy!

Honda Programming Notes:

1) Entering the programming mode cancels all learned transmitter codes, so none of the previously programmed transmitters will work.
You must reprogram all the transmitters once you’re in programming mode. The system accepts up to three transmitters.

2) To keep the system from exiting the programming mode, complete each step within 5 seconds of the previous step, and program the transmitters within 10 seconds of each other.

Steps:

1) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).

2) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on one of the transmitters. (A non-programmed transmitter can be used for this step.)

3) Turn the ignition switch OFF (0).

4) Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 two more times with the transmitter used in step 2.

5) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).

6) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on the same transmitter. Check that the power door locks cycle to confirm that you are in the programming mode.

7) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on each transmitter. (You can program up to four transmitters per vehicle.) Check that the power door locks cycle after you push each transmitter button, confirming that the system has accepted the transmitters code.
Hi, has anyone tried this? Does it work?

It could be a good idea if you have just purchased a car to change the codes on your fobs as someone may have a copy fob as there can be 3 attached at the same time.
By dazzaj25
dibbles00 wrote:Hi, has anyone tried this? Does it work?

It could be a good idea if you have just purchased a car to change the codes on your fobs as someone may have a copy fob as there can be 3 attached at the same time.
i revived the thread as i used it yesterday!!!
dandemoraliser wrote:you won't be able to change the code doing this
Ah okay. That clears this one up then.
Thanks.

If you wanted this piece of mind, it would a trip to the dealers I guess then?
dibbles00 wrote:
dandemoraliser wrote:you won't be able to change the code doing this
Ah okay. That clears this one up then.
Thanks.

If you wanted this piece of mind, it would a trip to the dealers I guess then?
yep, dunno what the charge is, presume same as immoboliser etc. iirc around £70
By tonyb86
snottybadger wrote:
mcilwraith wrote: 1) Entering the programming mode cancels all learned transmitter codes, so none of the previously programmed transmitters will work.
I'm confused!

Anyhoo I've just reprogrammed a spare fob using the above method :cool:
I used this method to programme a spare one ( as i didnt have a spare key ) and my original one still worked as it should :-D
By juz1
Just to give people a heads up on this it does work on facelift cars. I've just done it on mine and re programmed two keys. You don't turn the ignition on to do it just click between the first click to second. After the 3rd time it will be in learning mode so you just need to then press either open or close on each of the fobs you want to programme.
Its not the age of the car, its the alarm system you need to look at.

This guide is for the honda alarms that came after the "hamilton and palmer" ones on the earlier run of prefacelift CTRs.

Easy to tell... If you have 2 circular buttons, one large and another small on the fob its a honda one. If you have 2 square buttons parallel to eachother on yours, its a H&P alarm.
By kal1980
Hi guys sorry for bringing this thread alive again, but I am having some difficulty programming my key fobs. My type-r is a facelift 2005. The key fobs that came with the car have circular button one small and one large, and I believe this is the Honda key fob.

Here's the story,

My battery finally packed up after numerous times’ needing a jump start if the car hasn’t been used for a week or two (I commute to work). I finally got round to fitting a new battery which took about a month or so. The old battery charge indicator (small circular window) showed black, meaning the battery is dead. The car effectively might as well not of had a battery plugged in for a month.

After installing the battery I had to open the door with the key as both my key fobs didn’t work, and the alarm went off. I followed your instruction and the alarm stopped and I can hear the door power lock cycle but the lock didn’t lock or unlock. I thought I was doing something wrong so I made sure the engine was fine first by leaving it on for a while.

I started the engine and all seemed well, but then the rev needle started to fluctuate between 2 and 1k rev. After a while it sorted itself out and hasn’t done it since. I assume it calibrates itself, but correct me if I am wrong.

Once the revs were sorted I decided to go back and programme the key fobs properly. When I hear the door power lock cycle for the first time I believe I am in the programming mode. When I press the button on the key fob for the second time I can hear the door power lock cycle again but the door doesn’t lock or unlock? I turn the key back to 0 position and step out of the car making sure the boot and doors are shut. The key fobs don’t do anything? I have changed the battery on one of the key fobs so I know it’s not the battery, and the small red light goes on when pressing the key fob buttons. I also checked that there weren’t any problems with the central locking by using the child lock on the driver’s side door.

Has anyone had any difficulty programming their key fob. It should be a straight forward process.

Any help will be grateful thanks.
By juz1
Hi mate

Had mine in storage for a few years due to me having a company van. When i got it back on the road, the first thing it did when i started it up was do exactly the same thing. Its idle hunting because the ecu is re learning. Your throttle body will probably be full of crap or your ivac sensor is faulty. Take it for a good blast and it will sort it out if not bang it into the garage like i did to have the throttle body cleaned only cost me a few quid.

As for the key fob mine did exactly the same, again ive posted above how to do it. You dont need to press the on off button every time you turn the ignition off. Its just on off three times on the third your car goes into learn mode. Press open or lock buttons on each of your fobs. You can have four sets to one ecu i believe

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]