The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Done any mods? Let us have look or give us some tips.
By oztee
lots of time and effort basically! They are only cast alloy so the metal is pretty soft. Here's how I would do it:

1) I would first cut off the lugs for the original oem intake manifold cover and file them smooth for a cleaner look (you wont be needing them anyway).
2) Then I would use an angle grinder with a flap sanding disc to quickly take off the course finish.
3) Use a dremel with various grinding attachmnents to get into all the nooks and crannies and make them smooth.
4) Get some wet and dry paper and go from say 120 to 240 to 600 grit until it's really smooth and almost polished.
5) Use Autosol and a polishing attachment and pad for your angle grinder or if you are fed up at this point, take it to an engineering place and get them to machine polish it.
6) Once it's polished you could give it a coat of clear lacquer to stop it tarnishing.
7) Last of all, stick it in the dishwasher to make sure there is no swarf or crap inside that could damage your engine.

I'd estimate at least 10 hours work to do the job to a good standard.
By mark7mcbride
TEGIWA IMPORTS wrote:We offer this service - £100 returned if you post to us

Thanks
I might take you up on that offer next month when i get paid :thumbup:
By NPyke
Thought this was best posted in here..

Has any one run a Polished K20 Rocker Cover? I can imagine it would get rather hot, due ot the surface area being minimalised from the standard Wrinkle Red, but too hot that causes problems with disipation? (Will be running an AEM CAI so dont need to worry about heat soak!). Also, not being an mechanic an all, would it become dull, i.e. like a manifold over time?!
By motty
NPyke wrote:Thought this was best posted in here..

Has any one run a Polished K20 Rocker Cover? I can imagine it would get rather hot, due ot the surface area being minimalised from the standard Wrinkle Red, but too hot that causes problems with disipation? (Will be running an AEM CAI so dont need to worry about heat soak!). Also, not being an mechanic an all, would it become dull, i.e. like a manifold over time?!
bren has painted hundreds of covers without the wrinkle paint with no issues, never seen a polished one though

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]