The Worlds Largest Independent Honda Type-R Club & Forum - "Often imitated, never duplicated" 

  • Air con delete/removal - worth it?

  • Done any mods? Let us have look or give us some tips.
Done any mods? Let us have look or give us some tips.
 #3859506  by Danith
 Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 pm
Well 2 questions really:

1. Is it worth it to shed 18(?) kg on a track car?
2. Is it simple to remove?

It's never worked since I've had it (5-6 years) so I was going to get it fixed but then it'd probably be better just to remove it to save weight?

I either want it working or removed completely. No point having that weight when it's doin nowt!
 #3859518  by wHAmEz
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:46 am
Think you answered your own question. Take it out. I've no idea how to remove it but if your building a track car weight is weight and 18kg is quite a bit [THUMBS UP SIGN]
If you're in control you're just not going fast enough
 #3859520  by Danith
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:50 am
wHAmEz wrote:Think you answered your own question. Take it out. I've no idea how to remove it but if your building a track car weight is weight and 18kg is quite a bit [THUMBS UP SIGN]
If you're in control you're just not going fast enough

Yeh if it's Easy enough for a weekend diy mechanic to do with a few simple tools?
 #3859522  by Lewisgame
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 am
I've kept the A/C in my track EP3.
Mechanically it's everything a track car should be. But I've tried to retain some comfort as it gets driven across Europe to the Nürburgring.
If you're only doing tracks locally then I'd ditch it. Otherwise it's a nice bonus to keep for comfort.
 #3859523  by Danith
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:37 am
Lewisgame wrote:I've kept the A/C in my track EP3.
Mechanically it's everything a track car should be. But I've tried to retain some comfort as it gets driven across Europe to the Nürburgring.
If you're only doing tracks locally then I'd ditch it. Otherwise it's a nice bonus to keep for comfort.

Yeah exactly. We've only really used it for annual nurburg trips and even though we've struck gold with the weather for 5 years we only desperately needed it once. Would be nice to have, but if it's s simple removal I could always put it back?
 #3859524  by Lewisgame
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 am
The A/C pump and condenser (big radiator at the front) is easy enough to remove. I'm not so sure how easy the pipes and the evaporator (part behind the dash) comes out.
To be honest I don't think 18kg weight saving is worth it for a hobby car and losing that added comfort. Just my opinion. Is 18kg less going to shave seconds of your lap times?
 #3859525  by Danith
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:05 pm
Lewisgame wrote:The A/C pump and condenser (big radiator at the front) is easy enough to remove. I'm not so sure how easy the pipes and the evaporator (part behind the dash) comes out.
To be honest I don't think 18kg weight saving is worth it for a hobby car and losing that added comfort. Just my opinion. Is 18kg less going to shave seconds of your lap times?

Oh God I'm not a pure lap time quoting, sparco shoe wearing nerd. Ha.
It's going cost a good 100-150 probably for a new condenser etc (presuming that's the issue after 6 years of not working) so it's just bugging me having it there when it does nothing.
Thought it might even out the weight stripping of the rear seats/plastics/tool kit/wheels etc

Also eyeing up some cobra Monaco seats as I believe the std ones are like 25kg each!? Shame as I love the oem seats

It's not so much lap times, but think it just livens the car up and makes it more nimble with less crap in it.
 #3859526  by Lewisgame
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:53 pm
If you're not fussed about a bit of sweating or misty windows then just rip it out. It'll also make it far easier to fit an oil cooler if that's a future plan. Positioning the oil cooler in front of the condenser was very tight!
I personally can't live without A/C in a car.
 #3859527  by Danith
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:13 pm
Lewisgame wrote:If you're not fussed about a bit of sweating or misty windows then just rip it out. It'll also make it far easier to fit an oil cooler if that's a future plan. Positioning the oil cooler in front of the condenser was very tight!
I personally can't live without A/C in a car.

Bit of a luxury up in Stockport :)

Maybe I'll get a quote from a garage to either fix or remove
 #3859531  by 15repyt
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:07 pm
Leave it in. I would have wrote my car off by now when it rains if it wasn't for air con.

You can buy a compressor and drier which you will need from here
http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/

Cheapest place I could find when I needed a condenser.
 #3859532  by Danith
 Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:09 pm
15repyt wrote:Leave it in. I would have wrote my car off by now when it rains if it wasn't for air con.

You can buy a compressor and drier which you will need from here
http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/

Cheapest place I could find when I needed a condenser.

Cool thanks pal. Maybe I'll just get it sorted, one day I'll be glad I did it, ha. It'd leave a useless button too which would annoy me
 #3859567  by Chemical G
 Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 pm
removed mine as hasn't worked for over a year and never use it anyway, pretty easy to take off just a case of removing front bumper and rad, the actual pump weighs about 10kg rest is not alot but it all adds up especially if your car is stripped out, plus bit less parasitic loss it seemed to rev a bit quicker once id finshed
 #3859572  by parsimony
 Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:53 am
It was only ever a dealer fit in the first place so it must all be easily removable.
 #3859573  by Danith
 Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:05 am
Chemical G wrote:removed mine as hasn't worked for over a year and never use it anyway, pretty easy to take off just a case of removing front bumper and rad, the actual pump weighs about 10kg rest is not alot but it all adds up especially if your car is stripped out, plus bit less parasitic loss it seemed to rev a bit quicker once id finshed

Ha and now I'm back in the remove frame of mind
 #3859625  by Danith
 Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:14 pm
Anyone tried this? :) could be my solution

Image
 #3865700  by Danith
 Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:18 pm
Having it done. AC had never worked in the 7 years I've had it.

Ep is just for track anyway, Ring trips I'll be using the Fn2 with all the comforts.

Just had the AC fixed in my Fn2 and it cost £310!

£50 second hand pump, regas 1 (waste of time) £30, regas 2 £50, new condenser £100, labour £80.

Recent Topics

User avatar Crypto Currency Mining

by danneth

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 pm

User avatar Help Wanted - Posting Photo from iPad

by Gosden

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm

User avatar NHB Ep3 at Bedford Autodrome Sat 13/01

by Reggie91

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm

User avatar FK8 Owners List.

by Steel Lynx

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:25 pm

User avatar IT

by Slaugh

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am

Twitter

About Us

CTRO™ was the worlds first and largest Civic Type R club and forum. Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's. Now fully updated for 2015 the new forum based on BBOOTS PhpBB® Unofficial HTML5/CSS3 Theme. It’s Clean And Crisp Design Looks AWESOME Across All Browsers And Devices.

Don't forget to check out our huge Facebook group and Twitter Pages for all the most upto date goings on in the world of Honda and the Type R Brand.

CTRO

Established : 2002