The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Anything sound related, got any tips, post 'em here.
By Leezer
I've done a couple of DIY builds before, and have no problem with the install. But if I'm honest, I've just bought things and used them, rather than understand what I'm doing.

This usually leads to probably a decent setup, but with a lack of knowledge of how to set it up.

I'm looking for some direction on what I should be buying for a single sub in boot and good all round sound in cabin. I don't have a budget as of late I'm in the opinion of buy cheap but twice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Current setup:

Alpine CDA-117ri

Standard wiring with aftermarket speakers front and rear in OEM positions.
By w6ady
I would go with a decent amp to control your system, maybe a 4 channel with 2 channels to power a front set of components and the other 2 channels bridged to power a sub. If you want a cleaner sound certainly add some sound deadening as it will definately help. I wouldn't personally bother with rear speakers or if you do just use them for a bit of rear fill. My system in my ep3 consists of a JL audio 450/4v2 amp, focal 17cm k2 power front components, fully sound deadened doors, oem rear speakers and a cheap 12" JBL bass tube. I used the JBL as it is very light and sounds surprisingly good. I think I have the same headunit as yourself it's definately a alpine unit. I left the oem rear speakers in but run the headunit faded to the front so they are barely heard. Obviously try and use decent cabling as well as this will improve the sound also.

Added in 5 minutes 48 seconds:
Speakers are always personal choice and are down to how you like music to sound. Also if your after sound quality you want a sealed sub as that will play tighter than a ported sub which will be a bit more boomy and not as clean sounding but will give a bit more output.
By *nub*
I think I linked you to a JL HD amp in your thread ? Either the 600/4 or 900/5 are very good amps and sometimes bargains can be found on EBay ! If you buy second you can get much nicer stuff at well under half price.
By Leezer
w6ady wrote:I would go with a decent amp to control your system, maybe a 4 channel with 2 channels to power a front set of components and the other 2 channels bridged to power a sub.
So I don't require two amps to run speakers and sub separately....... Shows how ignorant I am to all of this!
By w6ady
No you don't need 2 amps it depends on what sort of system you want. If you want mad amounts of bass then a separate class d amp for your sub would be a good idea then another amp for the speakers. A decent 4 channel from a good maker will give you a decent sound. However you need to spec the speakers to work well with your amp. For example if your amp is 100w rms x 4 Then your front speakers would receive 100w rms each side and your sub 200w rms as you would bridge both the rear channels. So don't go putting a sub that's rated at 1000w rms on it as it won't sound very good as it will want a load more power. Try to get speakers that are evenly matched to your amp. Also always look at rms figures not peak wattage too. I find its better to go over your speakers rms handling with your amp power. So if your speakers are rated at 75w rms then your amp is 100w rms you can turn the gain down on the amp which will give you less distortion and a cleaner sound. Hope this is of some help mate
By *nub*
Just give us a budget so we can give you some ideas [emoji1303]
That HU has some real good sound processing and features so I'd would be great with a nice and and speakers. Most people don't care much about SQ, not enough to spend thousands on a system anyway. But it's one of those things like until you hear it, you cannot imagine how good it sounds
By Leezer
*nub* wrote:Just give us a budget so we can give you some ideas [emoji1303]
That HU has some real good sound processing and features so I'd would be great with a nice and and speakers. Most people don't care much about SQ, not enough to spend thousands on a system anyway. But it's one of those things like until you hear it, you cannot imagine how good it sounds
Cheers guys.

I honestly don't have a budget. I'd rather save to get the correct gear than buy cheap. For arguments sake I'd throw 1k at it total...... Give or take, but that's only a guess, could spent less/more dependant on what advice I get.

I know it's prob easier to take the car to someone and pay them, but that takes the satisfaction out of doing it myself!
By w6ady
What do you want to buy then? 1 amp or 2? Speakers just fronts? 1 sub or 2? I would recommend focal front speakers as they sound quite bright and go very loud without breaking or popping! Sub wise I would go with one 2 match your amps power.

Added in 4 minutes 15 seconds:
There is a jl audio hd900/5 on eBay at the mo for £400 that would run a system very well 100w rms x 4 and a 500w rms sub channel. With the right speakers that would sound good
By Leezer
I was thinking just fronts amped, along with 1 sub in boot. Keeping the aftermarket rears faded for fill. Then dynamat the front doors
By w6ady
Same sort of setup as me then. I would certainly think about that jl amp for £400 it's half price of what they are new. Then you have to decide on a set of speakers and a sub. But the amp has plenty of power so your system should sound good. What music do you listen to?
By Leezer
w6ady wrote:Same sort of setup as me then. I would certainly think about that jl amp for £400 it's half price of what they are new. Then you have to decide on a set of speakers and a sub. But the amp has plenty of power so your system should sound good. What music do you listen to?
Just bought the amp [emoji12]

I listen to everything to be fair, couple of snapshots of my library

By *nub*
You bought the 900/5? Do some research that is high end stuff, a very very good amp! You might as well get some decent rears IMO, even if you only spend £100 on them. Just goes to show you can buy 2x the system if you buy second hand !
By Leezer
*nub* wrote:You bought the 900/5? Do some research that is high end stuff, a very very good amp! You might as well get some decent rears IMO, even if you only spend £100 on them. Just goes to show you can buy 2x the system if you buy second hand !
Yeah bought the 900/5, had a look at the spec and a few reviews. Was too good an opportunity to miss!
By w6ady
As you listen to a variety of music I would recommend a sealed 10" or 12" sub. Try and find one around 4-500 w rms and you'll be laughing. Speakers I would still recommend focal. But as I said earlier they are a personal choice of how you like your music to sound.
By *nub*
Check an audio sales website, price high to low then pick something that looks good. Read some reviews then try find an as new/used set on eBay. I'm not an expert in the particular models but focal, hertz, Rockford fosgate, alpine all have some high end stuff. You wanna focus on good components for the front and less of your budget on rear coaxials if you opt for some. Same with the sub, and 500w rms would be more than enough punch. Ignore the 1000w vibe and other cheap rubbish !
By *nub*
Front comps come with crossovers. The Honda tweeter pods are pretty cheap from Honda and you'll need them.

Added in 39 minutes 41 seconds:
Don't buy any tweeter pods yet I can probably sell you mine for cheap

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]