The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Anything sound related, got any tips, post 'em here.
By oldskoolzzz
Recent project EP3 Anni purchase and my to-do list is getting longer and longer :Waks:

Any usual suspects why my front speakers aren't working?

Standard head unit which I've inspected this evening removed and checked the wiring which all looks bang on original connector no cut wires etc.

Rear speakers work fine fronts are dead as a dodo.

Tried the balance and fader etc nothing coming through the fronts.

Has what looks like tweeters fitted behind the mirrors which only the passenger side is also working.

I can see speakers behind the front grilles in the door cards so at least I know they are there :LOL:

Lost the light now so will remove door cards tomorrow and inspect the wiring.

Is it common for the oem head unit to go faulty with speakers output or even the fronts to simply pack up in time?

Once door card is off can you get access behind the speakers to inspect wiring? Or will I have to remove the speakers from the door? Doing some research I think they are possibly bonded to the door frame.
By w6ady
Could be a number of reasons why they aren't working mate. You say it has tweeters behind the mirrors so this would lead me to think it has aftermarket speakers in it. Although tweeters were offered as an upgrade not a lot of cars came with them. You can buy the tweeter mounts quite cheap through Honda as I and many others have done to run aftermarket component speakers. Best thing to do is whip a door card and tweeter mount off and see what is in there and how it is wired up. You could post up some pics if your not sure if standard or not. Hopefully it could be simply wired wrong, loose or not connected. I would say worst case it may need new speakers if they have blown etc but have a look first.
By oldskoolzzz
All now sorted.

Previous owner has changed out the fronts probably sometime ago as they were rotten and too far gone to salvage.

Picked up some nice 2nd hand pioneer replacements and made some mdf rings for them.

All now fitted and sound pretty good with standard HU

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]