The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Anything sound related, got any tips, post 'em here.
By *nub*

Passenger side speaker is barely on I've no idea what he mounted it to lol even though I provided the adapters and sh-t. speaker seems to be sideways too :smile:
By andy.h
:lol: at nubs blue peter install!! Looking good md I wouldnt mind popping over to chelt to have a listen when youve finished.
By MDRacing
Started on the rear 3/4 panels this week. Now I've not included any speakers here in the build as I'm just going to run some cheap coaxial's off the head unit but only have them on when my kids are in the back (can turn internal amp off on the HU). They love music and I want them to hear it without having to crank it up :)

The rear 3/4 panel is huge, and all comes off in one piece so it a little tricky to deal with - stupid design IMO! Anyhow, the stock speaker is attached through the panel so that has to be removed first then just yanking about and it eventually comes off.

With the panel removed we can see what we've got to work with. I'd put a splattering of silent coat on the rear arch already but that's coming off for a proper coating and topping off with CCF

Removed the other side as well, looks like previous own had a dog, that appears to have lost most of it's fur!!

So pull off the few pics of deadening and give it a proper layer.

Then start applying deadening to the outer skin of the rear panel

Next I started cutting pieces of 10mm CCF and applying that (it's sticky backed). I ensured the arch got a coating of both materials.

I had a couple of squares of wave diffuser foam handy so figured they might as well be used!

Then started applying deadening to the inner skin and covering up the holes in the panel.

Going to be super lazy with the rear speakers and just use the stock wiring too, as I said this is JUST for when the kids are in the back.

All nicely covered with deadening

Now 10mm CCF foam applied to just the arch (for now). I also ensured the arch in the rear corner was also covered with both materials, you can't see that in the pics though.

I'd bought some flashing tape a while back and used that to stick the wires etc. to the side panel to ensure they don't rattle and look neat.

Here are the proper cheap speakers (£21 new!) but they will do the job and they actually sound very good with all the deadening and sealing going on!

Got the other side to do today so I can re-fit the rear seats which I need in a couple of days. Will move onto the doors next and then the boot build can finally properly start.
By MDRacing
LOL I know, but they will be run on the HU and turned off unless kids in there so worry not!

You do know it's sacrilege to have rear speakers (and amped too!) in a proper install yeah? ;)
By bonezzz
Used to be into the audio side of things in the past. Liking this install, great work!

I think I still have bits and pieces lying about, genesis profile 2 and profile one, rainbow slc-265 components, jl audio 250/1 amp, and a couple of rolls of flash tape (I honestly think it's 98% as good as dynamat etc)

Used to be into spl too, had 2x DD9515's running off two directed 1200d amps on a split charge.

They are all in the attic some where
By MDRacing
Got the other side done today and back together, basically the same as the other side yesterday. It's surprising how boring it is having to repeat things twice lol

Question - Should I deaden under the rear seats at all? Either with just the silent coat and/or the CCF?
By J
Reply as expected :roflmao: [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

do you sell head units by any chance?
By J
Which bit?

I am after a new head unit and as you appear to know a little bit I thought it was a simple question.
By MDRacing
I'm not a dealer if that's what you're asking... I don't sell head units, though my JVC double din will be up for sale soon [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By J
You can let me know how much. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By MDRacing
Just a few updates... firstly the new HU arrived, will fit that later in the week most likely but it's single din so got to swap over the double din adaptor and I'll be painting it all at the same time cause I'm not a fan of the silver.

Next up I actually bothered to work out how long the RCA cables are that I need and the 5m ones I'd got will leave way too much excess so decided to make my own custom cables (going be about 3m long each). Did a bit of research and the Van Damme cable seems to be very popular and not too expensive so I ordered up 18m of it along with some rca terminals. They will all be braided, heat wrapped and labelled too.

Just waiting to get a soldering iron to make these up, will be fun :)

Then I started braiding, heat shrinking and eventually labelling the speaker cables, this is 16awg with two runs each side for the active setup. Not many pics here (and was a bit dark at the end) as I need to confirm what terminals I'll be using on the tweeters/mids and I didn't have any batteries for my labelling machine so couldn't do that either! I also made a fatal error in putting the first pair of cables together in the braiding without marking one of them both ends so I'll have to get that sorted out so I can label them correctly. The second set I marked one of the cables to keep track! Only finished off the amp end of the cables but very pleased with how they look :)

Last edited by MDRacing on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]