The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Anything sound related, got any tips, post 'em here.
By mtailor
I have finally embarked on fitting my speaker to the front doors of my Cosmic.

The guy I bought my cosmic from was a nice guy, he didnt own this car for very long, 11 months. A member of the local constabulary too. But his install skills on the head unit was shocking. I just hope he is a better copper than he is installer.
After ripping all that out and doing it properly (I wish I had taken pictures), I wondered why the rear speakers didn't work. Turns out he had 6x9 in the rear parcel shelf and left the wires in the boot. Traced them back to the rear speaker mounts and found that the fly lead was secured by twisting the wire together and using insulation tape to hold it. Nice.
So I fixed that.

Roll on 5 months, I am now going to tackle the front speakers.
I have a nice component set of Diamond Audio M6 17cm speakers. Owned these for a very long time.

I had bought a few things from Steve, formally of Dalco back in December. For the usual - MDF rings, sound deadening, wave diffusers and moisture guards.
So today I got round to actually start fitting it. The previous owner fitted some pioneer co-axial speakers to the fronts.
Again, like the rear, a p!$$ poor job.
I didn't actually get very far today. But I managed to cover most of the door in sound deadening sheets.
I managed to get most of the waterproof sheeting off. I am wondering if I need to put it back on?
Tomorrow I hope to finish the door and the other door too.

I will keep you posted on this saga.
Last edited by mtailor on Tue May 01, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mtailor
You are not wrong there. I will get the doors deadened and the look to fit the components. The crossover will be fun. The Diamond Audio crossover is a huge beast. The system is a bit of a hybrid. I broke a tweeter, so I replace them with some c5 JL tweeters. Very highly regarded. Put the standard fits back in for the moment.
By mtailor
So, my week has now ended, and the weather held firm this evening, so I sound deadened the drivers door. This was done better that the passenger door, the lessons learned from my first attempt.

I will try to install the MDF rings tomorrow and also fit the mids and highs. Should be pretty good fun I think.
By mtailor
Rain held off this evening. I managed to fit the MDF ring and wire up the speakers and crossover. Locating the crossover was the hardest part, as I had to put it strategically. Was putting the door card back on in the darkness. Going out with the kids in the morning. Didn't take any pictures today.
Will take pics of drivers door when I do it.
By sn:afu
Are you upgrading the rear speakers as well?

If so what rear speakers are you using?
By mtailor
So i have managed to fit the other door speaker. The weather held up enough for me to finish.
The rain came down as i was finishing the wiring - so it was a quick job putting the car back together again.

Previous owner had just twisted the wires together, and then sealed them with insulation tape. I decided to solder them in

Wave Diffuser fitted into door as well - you can just about see it.

MDF ring now fitted too.

Cross over mounted - only place i could put it, because it is so damn big

Door almost completed - and wiring needed.....

Door card is back on, and the tweeter has been mounted.
Looking good.
Sounds amazing. What a huge difference. Well worth the time spent.
Last edited by mtailor on Tue May 01, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sn:afu
Coming along nicely!

Much better than mine that's for sure :lol:
By mtailor
mikeBONEZZZ wrote:Do it yourself mate, the ep3 is quite easy to work with. You have some nice equipment!
Thanks fella.
Time is the issue. I have 2 kids under the age of 3. They take up a lot of time.
It has taken 2 weeks to complete something that should have only taken approx 6-8 hours. Bad weather hasn't helped my cause either.

Equipment acquired over the last 10 years. The Diamond Audio components are over 10 years old. Some of the best equipment at the time. Can't believe they retailed at almost £600 back on the day. Still sound crystal clear.
Had to replace a damaged tweeter, so I put in a JL Audio C5.
The amp is almost 6 years old. It has been in many of my cars, Vauxhall Calibra, Mazda MX5, Vauxhall Omega, BMW E46 and finally the cosmic. Also got a Moulded boot box fitted with a Diamond Audio M5 sub. You will hear me coming…
Can't be bothered to replace the rear speakers.
By mtailor
sn:afu wrote:Coming along nicely!

Much better than mine that's for sure :lol:
Anything is better than the stock units.

Almost there. I have had this equipment a long long time. The Amp, you can pick it up cheaply- is a fantastic unit with amazing CLEAN sound. A fantastic SNR, giving a clear sound.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]