The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Anything sound related, got any tips, post 'em here.
By [email protected]
If your looking to upgrade your front speakers but don't want to have to cut any metal...... here's the simple answer...

Focal Polyglass 165VRS.

Midbass driver mounted into door without cutting. 9mm mdf spacer used to provide a solid mount for the unit.

Midbass driver showing small neodymium motor unit.

Tweeters mounted into factory tweeter mounts.

The tweeter requires minimal trimming to fit it into the original mount. The midbass driver can be fitted without the mdf ring but using it does give it a firm mount and reduces the chance of vibration related noise. The crossover fit's neatly into the back of the door panel, just behind the handle.
By Kap01
Snap! lol well i have the Focal K2P in my EP3, much bigger magnet, needed to make some MDF rings but used the OEM tweeter holders to, Sound is amazing! :thumbup:
By Jackster1
Gav - I have the Focals 165 A1's in the front of my EP3 at the moment, one side is playing up, I'm certain it's juts a loose connection - they're a few years old now would there be much difference in the sound between what I have now and the Polyglass speakers?
By moons
Can somebody please post some more details about the improvement of the sound quality? I had a pair of these in my 206 GTi180 and they sounded excellent, but they were powered by a fairly powerful Alpine amp.

Any comments about how good they sound running them straight off the head unit/limitations/etc?

Thanks heaps!

Paul.
By daveb975
I am looking to get something like this in the fromt of my EP3. Will it make a massive amount of difference if just powered off the head unit?

I have just installed the Parrot RK8200:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/car-s ... rot-rk8200

The sound is better than the stock HU, but not massively so. I don't know if this is due to the stock speakers or the fact that the Parrot does not sound that good itself.
By scrob
daveb975 wrote:I am looking to get something like this in the fromt of my EP3. Will it make a massive amount of difference if just powered off the head unit?

The sound is better than the stock HU, but not massively so. I don't know if this is due to the stock speakers or the fact that the Parrot does not sound that good itself.
I had a Parrot Rhythm N Blue and sold it, the sound quality wasn't very good. Sound In Motion (Londonderry) informed me that Parrot make a great bluetooth unit, but the Rhythm n Blue head unit was the equivalent of a Goodmans in terms of sound quality :???: Don't know if they have improved things though on the new model. Could be worth jumping across to talkaudio.co.uk :thumbup:
By daveb975
scrob wrote:
daveb975 wrote:I am looking to get something like this in the fromt of my EP3. Will it make a massive amount of difference if just powered off the head unit?

I had a Parrot Rhythm N Blue and sold it, the sound quality wasn't very good. Sound In Motion (Londonderry) informed me that Parrot make a great bluetooth unit, but the Rhythm n Blue head unit was the equivalent of a Goodmans in terms of sound quality :???: Don't know if they have improved things though on the new model. Could be worth jumping across to talkaudio.co.uk :thumbup:
Thanks. I have now removed the RK8200, and installed an Alpine X100. The bluetooth was great on the Parrot, but everything else was a bit buggy (ipod compatibility, tuner etc). The sound on the Alpine is better too.
By XAF
Hi,

I bought some infinity speakers at the weekend and connected them up to see what they sounded like.... No I know that as they weren't in properly then they weren't performing to their best, but they sounded crap, worse than the Honda ones just no bass or depth. I tried some really old Kenwood dual cone speakers that I used to have in an old car years ago that sounded great, and they sound crap too. I can't believe that £100 speakers don't sound better than the garbage Honda puts in. The 12 year old Astra a had whilst waiting for the CTR to be delivered had a better quality sound!

If I buy some of the Focal speakers, will these really sound better with the standard head unit? Am I doing something fundementally wrong, can you not just plug and play?
By moons
Much to my surprise I have stuck with the stock FN2 speakers - I really want to put in the double DIN fascia and replace everything but the reality is that with the Honda iPod attachment the stock system sounds good enough IMO.

In my old 206 GTi180 I had a pair of Focal (Polygraph?) 165Vs, along with a with a small 7" Focal sub, all powered by a smallish Alpine amp and controlled by an entry level Alpine head unit. This improved the Pug's system out of sight, of course, the Pug's stock sound was MUCH worse than the stock FN2, IMO.

If you amp the Focal's appropriately (My understanding is these speakers require a decent amount of juice) the Focal's should sound great. How they will fare attached to the stock head unit I don't know.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]