The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R EK9 and EP3
By Gizmo-R
I'm getting a 4 wheel alignment at Honda Garage next week. My mate that works there is going to do it for me.

Are there any specific settings that I should request him to do to improve the drive characteristic??

Cheers

Martin
(...and yes I've done the search on this subject and I found diddly squat!! Or the search did anyway :roll: )
By Paul-CTR
-1 degree camber all round
1mm toe out front
1mm toe in rear

you could change the 1mm to 2mm if you really want to improve substantially but you then have to really concentrate on your driving, no more one hand on the wheel malarky
By Gizmo-R
Paul-CTR wrote:-1 degree camber all round
1mm toe out front
1mm toe in rear

you could change the 1mm to 2mm if you really want to improve substantially but you then have to really concentrate on your driving, no more one hand on the wheel malarky
Cheers "Lun Yun"
By Jackel
I agree tried loads of different set-ups now and broadly speaking that'll give the best results for most people .... i couldn't get a degree of camber on my front wheels to start with there simply wasn't another movement so i fitted a slightly smaller bolt to the upper hole in the strut joint (reduced diameter by 1mm) that gave anything up to 2degree per side if you need it (very twitchy at 2 degree's trust me) but like i said i found 1 degree per side (2degree combined) perfect along with 1mm toe out at front. :wink:
By JPS3290
1mm toe out front
1mm toe in rear

Sounds very similiar to what im running 8) :)
By bunnykins
will this cure the erratic steering / tramlining and steering pull ?
By Jackel
To be honest i've found it's a simple trade off with car setup the better the car is when driven on the limit, the more skippy and twitchy it is down a bumpy road at 30mph... it's a personal thing really as to just how extreme you like it. :twisted:

Saying that though when the geometry setup is un-even the civic can be an absolut dog to be honest, i'm convinced thats part of the reason for the massively differing opinion in the motoring press, some had well set-up demo cars others had one that had been down a pot hole or 2 or like in my car was just shot to bits when it came from the factory :)
By bunnykins
Jackel wrote:To be honest i've found it's a simple trade off with car setup the better the car is when driven on the limit, the more skippy and twitchy it is down a bumpy road at 30mph... it's a personal thing really as to just how extreme you like it. :twisted:

Saying that though when the geometry setup is un-even the civic can be an absolut dog to be honest, i'm convinced thats part of the reason for the massively differing opinion in the motoring press, some had well set-up demo cars others had one that had been down a pot hole or 2 or like in my car was just shot to bits when it came from the factory :)
so who set ur car up ?
By Paul-CTR
Jackel wrote:To be honest i've found it's a simple trade off with car setup the better the car is when driven on the limit, the more skippy and twitchy it is down a bumpy road at 30mph... it's a personal thing really as to just how extreme you like it. :twisted:

Well said. The better you want it to handle, the more of a bitch it is to drive. But toe settings in general are very easily knocked out again. I had the setup done on a thursday and had to go back on a friday to sort a tracking issue out. Did not hit any potholes or bumps but already the toe settings were out again, not by much only 0.-3-0.4mm but still one friggin day??!! Whats it going to be like 6 months from now?
By Ali
1mm toe out front
1mm toe in rear
The chap I use recommended similar but said to keep the front with zero toe as this improves steering feel no end. The toe in at the rear should sto pthe rear being so skittish in a straight line and less likely to snap out.
By Bulla
1mm toe out front
1mm toe in rear
Would these be the settings used by ABP for their fast road setup or do they do something different?
By Type-R
how much does honda charge for the alignment ? £50 ?
By Gizmo-R
Type-R wrote:how much does honda charge for the alignment ? £50 ?
YEs plus the Vat too!
By RichE
Are these settings easily applied and if so why cant Honda dealers seem to be able to adjust them.
By JPS3290
RichE wrote:Are these settings easily applied and if so why cant Honda dealers seem to be able to adjust them.
Probably because there 'technicians' rather than mechanic's. If something can't be replaced with a new part i wouldnt bother going to them :wink:
By bunnykins
JPS3290 wrote:
RichE wrote:Are these settings easily applied and if so why cant Honda dealers seem to be able to adjust them.
Probably because there 'technicians' rather than mechanic's. If something can't be replaced with a new part i wouldnt bother going to them :wink:
even then...........u have to think long and hard about
taking your CTR to a Honda Dealer !!!!!!!
By Hughesy25
hi folks, just had ABP do their fast road setup. I cant believe the difference, no tramlining, skittisness,better turn in and no understeer. It was the best 150 quid i have spent so far :D
Rich
By RichE
So any competent motorsport garage should be able to apply these settings to a ctr?
By Jackel
I've had mine done by honda, autopoint (good), airway tires (v/bad) and i've done it myself twice, but most recently i gave it to Nemesis after it was lowered and i'd put the smaller bolts in and for £80 they did a cracking job 8) everything was nice an even ... am really pleased with it now it's so much more rewarding to drive a totally different car from when i first had it 18mths ago :twisted:
By LloydEp3
Hughesy25 wrote:hi folks, just had ABP do their fast road setup. I cant believe the difference, no tramlining, skittisness,better turn in and no understeer. It was the best 150 quid i have spent so far :D
Rich
Was your alinement figures similar to the ones shown at the top? -1 camber all round,
1 degree of toe out at the rear and -1 at the front? Thanks

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]