The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R EK9 and EP3
By LJHeardy
Hi all,

I have a query regarding the battery life on an EP3. and whether upgrading from a 12V to a 14V battery will increase the duration the battery can hold a charge for.

The reason I ask is, from reading in the online forums, that for the engine to turn over on start up the 12V battery as to be practically fully charged. other wise it struggles or doesn't turn over at all. Would fitting a 14V battery allow a bit more tolerance in the charge level of the battery to start the car.
My current 12V battery will last roughly a week, with the alarm on, before there's not enough juice in it to start the car (plenty of charge to power everything else). Would a 14V battery change this?

For example, if a drove to an airport and left the car parked there for 10 days with the alarm on. Would fitting a 14V battery allow me to start the car up when I return. Rather than if I had my current 12 volt, which would probably not last and I'll need to get the AA out.

Apologies if this subject has already been covered. I could find it when I was searching for the specific answer I was looking for. I've seen user install 14v battery and the car being fine. But they have only installed them when there is an increased load. Like; HID-kit or amplifiers etc.
By Stamford78
Just buy a Bosch S023 Battery (Think that's right) you will have no problems with one of them.
The original Yuasa battery did cause me a few problems also though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By EvoStu
Check out the new Yuasa range. They're very good.

There are lots of options though.
By Benjanyan
Capacity is what you're after, not voltage. A 14v battery at say 13v probably won't start your car either. The voltage will plummet as soon as you try to pull high current if it's low on charge.

By the way, car batteries generally don't like being cycled like this. You'll significanly shorten the service life by discharging it that much regularly.

My EP3 has been okay with an Excide but it doesn't sit for more than 5 days at the longest. The original suddenly died without warning about a year ago.
By Lewisgame
99% batteries for cars are 12v and the vehicles electrics is designed to run around this voltage.
The alternator will output roughly 13-14v to charge the battery and cope with all the consumables running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]