The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R EK9 and EP3
By mad_allan
CTR Buyers Guide

Ok, so I often see posts asking for buying tips on the CTR but we don't have a complete buyers guide we can all add too.
So I decided to make this one.

What should I look out for

Steering Rack

This was the most common and costly issue. There is a huge thread here
The most common way to spot this is to centre the steering wheel and let go, it will pull to the right more often than not if it hasn't been replaced under warranty.

2nd Gear

The next most common issue is the 2nd gear crunching. This is very common, especially when the car is cold. To spot this, you would need to make sure the car
hasn't been warmed up when you get there. If it has, you won't notice the problem so much until you have bought it and start up the next day!
See this thread for more info

Idle Control Valve

This is also a known issue. Once the car is warmed up, it feels like it will want to stall all the time. It normally just needs adjusting, any local garage / speciallist will be able to fix this.

Heatshield

The heatshield rattle can be annoying if you experience it. There is no definitive fix, either tighten the bolts or do what others have and remove it.

Corroding Alloys

Almost all of the alloys will corrode at some point. If you have a Honda warranty, get them replaced. The paint lacquer will start to peel off, the alloys from Honda cost around £250 each!

Noisy Valves (Tappets)

You may hear a tappety sound, more prevalent when the car is cold but also heard once it is warmed up. This should be done on the 75k service, it's just valve clearences and can be done at any time

Rocker Cover Paint

Under the bonnet, the Rocker Cover may have paint flaking away. It's nothing to worry about, just makes the engine bay look untidy!

Door Handles

The interior door handles often lose paint (the silver handle and surround on the inside). Again, this is a known issue and can be rectified with some vauxhall silver paint from your local Halfords

Alarm going off

There is also a known issue with the alarm constantly sounding. This is when water seeks it's way through the ariel and allows moisture in. Take the car back into the dealer and get them to sort it out of you have a warranty.
If no warranty, still take it to a dealer!

Window Rattle

Nothing you can do about this one. When driving with the window a little way down, it will rattle and annoy you :lol:

Please feel free to add to this, I will keep the post updated
Last edited by mad_allan on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By FireBIade2
Good post :)

Dont forget the rattle from the windows & the alarms that keep going off when they get water in them through the aerial.
By EvoStu
Nice post we'll add it to the FAQ's later. 8)

EvoStu.
By Cat
Was going to add "Stonechipped bonnet" but guess that's inevitable! :roll:

However I suppose a new buyer might think loads of stonechips means the car's been ragged stupid when in fact it probably hasn't.
By Shultz
Top strut mounts?

Also making sure its got 2 sets of keys/fobs as the replacements are expensive!

Cheers, Shelton.
By Rob
VTEC
Always make sure you carry a spare pair of underwear with you (preferably stored in the glove box) particulaly if you are new to the car and at any point decide to rev over 5800 RPM :P
By FireBIade2
another thing, the 'wookie' noise when pulling off first thing in the morning, think it's something to do with the master clutch cylinder but doesn't actually 'break' the car just makes that annoying metalic moan for the first few mins of driving when pulling away.
By evilowl
Hmmm you need to mention that the 2nd gear issue will also go away once the car has some miles on it, and to ensure the clutch pedal is buried in the carpet when changing into 2nd when the engine is cold.

You should also point out that the fix that Honda can apply MAY move the problem to 4th/5th/6th instead and that anyone considering warrantying this will be without their car for 3 days or more

Additions:

# Cam cover rattle - fix = place plastic/rubber washers underneath
# Headlight adjuster motor noisy
# Feathering on the rear tyres
# Windscreen seal on >04 cars can be badly fitted from factory causing a lot of wind noise above 80mph
# Open cone induction kits are sh-t and should be made illegal
# Correct tyre pressures are critical, especially on the rear
By dandemoraliser
Fast idle upon start up - Auto choke on start up to around 2k rpm

Hard wear on rear tyre - Manufacturers set up is harsh on inside edges due to incorrect camber set-up make sure dealers sorted
By Seiki
FireBIade2 wrote:the alarms that keep going off when they get water in them through the aerial.

:shock: wtf , really ?
By Sacrificial Pawn
Knocking from front wheels when cornering at slower speeds (probably can't hear it above the VTEC at any other time! :P ).

Think this is something to do with the front suspension struts moving? A strut brace seemed to fix it.
By FireBIade2
MugenSeiki wrote:
FireBIade2 wrote:the alarms that keep going off when they get water in them through the aerial.

:shock: wtf , really ?
Yeah did read about those alarm board recalls, although now that i think about it might not be due to water leaking through around the aerial.
By typerdee
My second gear is like that, is it a huge probleymo ?
By Rcb
Why would stonechips mean a car has been ragged? :?
By CTRSam
:shock: Reading all that makes me want to sell up and get a reliable jap car :lol:
By Superbully
also should be added - check that the type R tray is in place under the passenger seat and had not been removed :wink:

also the leather bound service book holder with "Type R" embossed embellishments is present, normally to be found in glovebox :D
By bmw2Type-R
Window door seals

Tend to fold inwards or corrode which causes the window to come out and nnot go into the door frame properly
By BigJames
mad_allan wrote:Might aswell bump this up considering the amount of noobs we have :-D

Am glad you did! I'm looking into buying a CTR and just loaded this page to search for such a thread! Genius!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]