The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R EK9 and EP3
By chif
no-body has mentioned this, but the biggest problem i have with my type r is the urge to floor it at any given chance. almost to the point that i think about selling it before something bad happens.
oh i don't think missing pollen filters has been mentioned either, and not a fault, but the drivers seat thing is a pain in the butt - unless your a quite short i suppose
i have the window rattle, move the window up slightly and it solves this, the alarm circuit board faulty (£185 fitted myself, anyone could do it), rattling heatshild on cat. removed. and rattling plastic trim above inlet manifold, - i can live with it but was worried about the noise until it was diagnosed also the million chips and minor scratches that come standard,
for a car that can take so much abuse can we really moan about about minor things? engines, g'boxes, electrics, reliability etc have no common faults, ok maybe s'racks in older ones i think. It's an all round great car i would recomend one to anyone who thinks they can with-stand the urge to go into boy racer mode each time they get behind the wheel!
By jdizzy
I'm hopefully going to be buying an ep3 on the next few months, and after Reading this thread there seems to be alot of little faults. should this put me off buying 1?
By Cat
To anyone reading this thread ... it highlights the most common faults but remember there are a lot of us out there who've not had any of the issues mentioned and are perfectly happy with our reliable CTRs! :-D
By Parry_VTec
Bought my wee 02 plate CTR in November 2008 & so far the only problem that i've had is having to replace the standard cat as it was the original & was slightly blowing. Owned three Honda's now & not one major fault. My Dad also had an 01 plate Civic SE till last year with no fault at all & my brother currently has an 06 Accord 1.9 CDTi as his work car & he drives everywhere in the country & the only thing that's needed changed is the brakes & tyres. Awesome cars! :wink:
By Aron.Wright
Very good guide to read through.

Good little points that can easily be missed normaly.

At first i thought it was a big list for a car that is suppose to be so realiable but then i realised if you wrote one for most cars you could rewrite the bible.
By dandemoraliser
Aron.Wright wrote:Very good guide to read through.

Good little points that can easily be missed normaly.

At first i thought it was a big list for a car that is suppose to be so realiable but then i realised if you wrote one for most cars you could rewrite the bible.
as said above, not a definitive list but should cover anything that you might be curious about or the car is suffering from.
By Bong
This thread kind of puts me off, looking at a pre EP3 and the Post Corrola T-Sport and the Corrola has none of these annoying little faults and a lot more kit as standard, fair enough its a little slower but that doesnt bother me at all

Really cant decide between the two
By ell-ctr
Bong Water wrote:This thread kind of puts me off, looking at a pre EP3 and the Post Corrola T-Sport and the Corrola has none of these annoying little faults and a lot more kit as standard, fair enough its a little slower but that doesnt bother me at all

Really cant decide between the two
seems though youve already made your mind up bud.

as stated, no dig implied, but if this wasnt available and you found out all of this stuff after you bought one would you be pi$$ed? or if you still like them and would like to buy one is it not good to know there is a great place to find out faults and fixes? should there even be a fault.

and more relevant, a pre FL is what, going to be at least 6 years old, what car do you know of that is 6 years old, performs and maintains the standard that ctrs do but doesnt have niggles along the way? if you dont want any niggles buy a new car, even then your not completely out of the woods.
By Bong
ell-ctr wrote:
Not really thats why I am here doing some research, I have driven a Corrola I have not driven an EP3 but I have been in one although a passenger ride in an NA car is never impressive
ell-ctr wrote:and more relevant, a pre FL is what, going to be at least 6 years old, what car do you know of that is 6 years old, performs and maintains the standard that ctrs do but doesnt have niggles along the way? if you dont want any niggles buy a new car, even then your not completely out of the woods.
For imilar money, a 4 / 5 year old Corrola T-Sport, newer and more kit just slightly slower
By ell-ctr
Bong Water wrote:
ell-ctr wrote:
Not really thats why I am here doing some research, I have driven a Corrola I have not driven an EP3 but I have been in one although a passenger ride in an NA car is never impressive
ell-ctr wrote:and more relevant, a pre FL is what, going to be at least 6 years old, what car do you know of that is 6 years old, performs and maintains the standard that ctrs do but doesnt have niggles along the way? if you dont want any niggles buy a new car, even then your not completely out of the woods.
For imilar money, a 4 / 5 year old Corrola T-Sport, newer and more kit just slightly slower

so you have made your mind up
By Bong
WTF! No I have not made my mind up! I have not driven an EP3 yet so how can I have possibly of made my mind up! I am merely pointing out the Corrola would seem to be the sensible choice at this point, rarely do people go for the sensible option when looking for a fun to drive car
By ell-ctr
Bong Water wrote:WTF! No I have not made my mind up! I have not driven an EP3 yet so how can I have possibly of made my mind up! I am merely pointing out the Corrola would seem to be the sensible choice at this point, rarely do people go for the sensible option when looking for a fun to drive car
another one we got here :roll:

what im saying is, when we here have offered help, you try and justifiy the toyota. you dont find n/a impressive so why consider one? you get more kit with the toyota as youve stated, it could be newer, there would be less worrying on your behalf because theres that less niggles apparently,your not that bothered about its perfomance speed wise so if this isnt a no-contest i dont know what is.
By Bong
ell-ctr wrote:
another one we got here :roll:
:lol: You have no idea
ell-ctr wrote: what im saying is, when we here have offered help, you try and justifiy the toyota. you dont find n/a impressive so why consider one? you get more kit with the toyota as youve stated, it could be newer, there would be less worrying on your behalf because theres that less niggles apparently,your not that bothered about its perfomance speed wise so if this isnt a no-contest i dont know what is.
When "we" have offered help? You have not offered any help, just picked holes in my comments, I have owned enough Honda's to know what I like thank you, I dont you to tell me that!

A passenger ride in an NA car is not impressive, by that I mean the experiance of driving a high revving engined car far out weighs that of being a passenger

I am here to read into the EP3 I am on the Toyota forums to read into the Corrola, i'm pointing out that the Corrola from what I have read and understand has less niggly faults
By si
If you enjoy driving then I'd guess the CTR is the better car, being a passenger is dull in most cars for me but the engine and gearbox in the CTR is superb when you try it. It's involving and fun to drive. I'd leave the Corolla's to the OAP's who enjoy doing their food shop on a Wednesday afternoon and don't wish to have an involving drive.
By Bong
I would say any high revving NA motor is a drivers car so both cars fit the bill there which is why I am struggling to decide, TBH the Corrolas image not being as popular as the CTR is a bit of a bonus for me as no one will know what it is where as the CTR is known all over and attracts unwanted attention which is a shame as like you say it probably will provide the better driving experiance of the two

Anyway, this is going off topic, maybe I should start another thread on the two cars but CBA with a bitch fest, rather have fact and opinion
By ell-ctr
we as a forum and as part of the forum the "buyers guide", i myself also stated that you need to understand that a pre FL car is going to have niggles as they are the other side of 6years old (some FL are going to be 9 this year-not being funny but what car like ctrs of that age doesnt have niggles). 6years old and more than likely been ragged in some point of its life is going to take some form of hit on the car, what do you expect from a car that comes hand in hand with its reputation. anyone who buys a civic unless its new, is naive to think it hasnt been driven hard maybe not all the time but everytime the chance arose.

and while your here to look, read what people are saying, you dont have to justify the toyota at every chance you get. of course we are going to be more biased towards the civic but from what ive read your more inclined to the toyota and as ive stated previously youve justified that the toyota wil be newer, will have less kit, will if its newer probably have less miles and youve said your not bothered about it being a tad slower. so without trying to incur more sarky reponses, gen question, what is pulling you towards the ctr?
By ell-ctr
repeated myself a bit too much there :-|
By Bong
The buyers guide is great, props to the OP

My Prelude had no niggles, that was 10 years old and owned by a lady from new, I think you are naive for thinking every CTR out there has been ragged but I also agree with you that the chances of finding a one/two owner from new CTR is a little lower than a CTS, however i'm a patient man and willing to wait for the right example, i'm not the type to get over excited and buy the first POS boy racer owned no history dubious example that rears its head on PH

Also I wouldnt be here if I had made my mind up would I
By ell-ctr
Bong Water wrote:The buyers guide is great, props to the OP

My Prelude had no niggles, that was 10 years old and owned by a lady from new, I think you are naive for thinking every CTR out there has been ragged but I also agree with you that the chances of finding of finding a one/two owner from new CTR is a little lower than a CTS, however i'm a patient man and willing to wait for the right example, i'm not the type to get over excited and buy the first POS boy racer owned no history dubious example that rears its head on PH
that be troof.

ok perhaps not ragged, but driven well so to speak, imo theres a reson why people buy these cars and it aint MPG. :lol:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]