The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R EK9 and EP3
By Geno
Granted I have only read the first and last posts in this thread but the whistling windscreen seal wasn't mentioned. A lot of new CTRs had poorly sealed screens which whistled when you reached a certain speed. Mine did it but was fixed by Honda as were many others so it is not a big deal but probably worth mentioning.
By R4SC4L
Hi - I'm starting to look for my first EP3 Type R and am finding this guide really useful. There's one thing I wanted to ask, are standard front brake discs vented or drilled on a facelift model or would this be something that has been added later?
:scratch:
Thanks
By Cat
R4SC4L wrote: are standard front brake discs vented or drilled on a facelift model
By vented I take it you mean with gouges across the disc. If so then no that's not standard, someone's changed them.

Welcome to the forum. :smile:
By dazsob
Standard front discs are vented, the rears are solid. As standard, they shouldn't come drilled or grooved if thats what your talking about... :thumbup:

Daz
By nasio
Excellent, thanks for all this info. Drawn up a check-list now to see how much I can hopefully drop off the price on my future buy!
By jaz355
bozzy-101 wrote:I suppose with this being a buyers guide it should be mentioned the oil should be checked as if its grimy and or low it gives a good idea of how the car has been looked after.

Ignore excess road noise as this is common with all ctrs

Other than that I can't think of anything else . . . . .
Just a quick question, what oil can you put in a CTR.. is fully synthetic 5W40 Shell Helix ok.?
By floor tom
I am looking at buying an EP3 just now and have a question about the steering rack. Did the faulty ones generaly go early on in the cars life or were they at random. In other words if I am looking at a car between 60 and 80k should I be looking for one with a replacement steering rack in it?
By Hendy
Good info in the guide............and yeah i still want a type r :thumbup:
i must be mad :scratch:
By DAvE23
Hi

Thanks for the guide, had a look at a few bits on it when I bought mine, I pick it up tomorrow . wooo. will post piccies when I get it.

ps. Hi all :D
By Japanese monster
Newannaive wrote:
redchris wrote:Is it generally agreed that the problem with CTR's pulling to the right (or left) is down to a duff steering rack? I'm seriously considering buying one but reading that thread frightens me! I don't want to spend all my time wrestling with the car!!
no it's not....could just as easily be tracking or duff tyres....a faulty steering rack is usually paired with a loud creaking noise.

Thanks for all of the advise posted guys. My steering rack creeks from time to time. I've noticed that it generally does it after i've filled up. Could this just be that the car is heavier with a full tank or would i need to get it replaced? It hasn't done it for about two weeks now. But, knowing my luck it will prob haunt me again tomorrow.

Cheers!
By -oli-
Great thread. im currently in the process of buying a CTR. Still wanting the car after looking at these issues! :smile:

I will def check on these issues when i am asking people about the cars i look at!
By Devilcrawler
hello this is my first post, this thread is really good and very helpful, im currently looking to get a CTR.

I heard from somewhere that the 03 onwards type r are better as they upgraded components (not sure what ones though)
By PH47MF
Devilcrawler wrote:hello this is my first post, this thread is really good and very helpful, im currently looking to get a CTR.

I heard from somewhere that the 03 onwards type r are better as they upgraded components (not sure what ones though)
i personally think the facelifted versions look better and apparently they've made thousands of changes to it. But i haven't noticed a damn thing apart from the colour of the interior lol. :thumbup:

good luck with your hunt for a CTR.
By Shelly_TypeR
Hiya,
I bought a CTR 3 weeks ago and the air con doesn't work as the condensor has gone.
The bloke at the garage said they are a common thing to go on Civic's as stones flick up off the road and damage them :-x
By Ryanster
Awesome thread guys :) I will be making a list when I go and look for my EP3

Cheers
By Painty05
Im a complete CTR noob and this list is proper helpful (also a little worrying) as I am looking to buy a EP3. I know CTRs require alot of looking after as my bro has a DC2 teg which has got me interested in gettin involved in the type r action :thumbup:

I have seen a CTR im interested in but it has a few mods, which are; tein lowering springs, hks induction kit and blitz exhaust

Is there anything i should look out for when buying a modded CTR? Or is it something I should avoid?

Cheers

Chris
By daveyc86
I've read all the posts about excessive road noise, now what is this comparable to? For instances would it be louder than my 1.2 clio? as I do kinda want something quieter than the clio :lol:
By bornlucky1
mines does exactly that, glad to hear im not the only one!!!
phil440 wrote:you also need to add the pain in the ass want to smash the dash rattle that comes from the near side of the dash that a few of us have :evil: :evil: !!!!

other that that nowt to add :-D :-D :-D :-D
By chif
no-body has mentioned this, but the biggest problem i have with my type r is the urge to floor it at any given chance. almost to the point that i think about selling it before something bad happens.
oh i don't think missing pollen filters has been mentioned either, and not a fault, but the drivers seat thing is a pain in the butt - unless your a quite short i suppose
i have the window rattle, move the window up slightly and it solves this, the alarm circuit board faulty (£185 fitted myself, anyone could do it), rattling heatshild on cat. removed. and rattling plastic trim above inlet manifold, - i can live with it but was worried about the noise until it was diagnosed also the million chips and minor scratches that come standard,
for a car that can take so much abuse can we really moan about about minor things? engines, g'boxes, electrics, reliability etc have no common faults, ok maybe s'racks in older ones i think. It's an all round great car i would recomend one to anyone who thinks they can with-stand the urge to go into boy racer mode each time they get behind the wheel!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]