The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R EK9 and EP3
By Superbully
ell-ctr wrote: ok perhaps not ragged, but driven well so to speak, imo theres a reson why people buy these cars and it aint MPG. :lol:
Of course they are bought to be well used. On the other hand the engineers designing them realise this and try to make a car that can handle it.
Also, the owners are usually car enthusiasts that look after their cars so they are often very well looked after and maintained. You just have to look at some of the civic threads to realise how much people are taking care of them...
By Julzbunny
Thanks for the tips guys, will bear these in mind for tomorrow morning and hopefully will be bringing home my very own 'black beauty' by lunchtime, cant wait. Be gutted if I dont for whatever reason! I think this is a really clean example, guy has had it for 4 years and only one owner before that. Low miles and full history, timing belt not long done as have the brakes. :-D :-D :-D

:WOOT :thumbup:
By Superbully
dandemoraliser wrote:
Julzbunny wrote:timing belt not long done
:scratch:

Doesn't need anything done to it.
think she means changed on a service maybe...
By Jalapeno
Really useful guide thanks guys and gals.

Currently trying to hunt down my EP3, been looking for a few weeks now and this guide should provide a solid checklist.
By Torres
Very informative thread, helped me say no to a few sellers!

I'm seriously considering a 53 Cosmic Grey CTR with 66k

Was serviced in Feb (not by main dealer), but going through the service book, couldn't find anywhere to state that the brake fluid had been changed, is there a section in the service book for it.

Also by reading the above posts, timing chains don't need to be replaced but is there any issues with them on high mileages, that may just need to be checked out and finally how can I check the coolant level, it was bloody hard to get a good view of it.
By Dubbz
Torres wrote:Also by reading the above posts, timing chains don't need to be replaced but is there any issues with them on high mileages, that may just need to be checked out and finally how can I check the coolant level, it was bloody hard to get a good view of it.
As far as i'm aware, there is no easy way to check. Take something bendy and long with you, like a cleaned up oil dipstick.
By yankeeblue76
Hi Guys,

This is a really excellent guide.

I went to see an 02 52 plate EP3 yesterday with 100k miles on the clock and 4 previous owners. Cost £5k from a dealer.

Im a bit concerned that the last service was done at 83k miles. Have the same questions that Torres posted about about the timing chain on this much mileage. Is this an issue and how can i check that it has been replaced from a previous service?

Is this even a good deal or should i just walk away?
By Fatboydave
Hi ppl, this is my first post so just sayin hi really. Im buyin my civic (ep3) in about 1 month, so still lookin round. any tips that arent going to be particularly obvious to me (as this will be my first type r) will be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys. :-D
By Dubbz
yankeeblue76 wrote:Hi Guys,

This is a really excellent guide.

I went to see an 02 52 plate EP3 yesterday with 100k miles on the clock and 4 previous owners. Cost £5k from a dealer.

Im a bit concerned that the last service was done at 83k miles. Have the same questions that Torres posted about about the timing chain on this much mileage. Is this an issue and how can i check that it has been replaced from a previous service?

Is this even a good deal or should i just walk away?
I believe that the service intervals are 87k and 96k...so that sounds as if it hasn't been maintained (at least on paper)

I'd walk away in all honesty. You can get better examples elsewhere
Fatboydave wrote:Hi ppl, this is my first post so just sayin hi really. Im buyin my civic (ep3) in about 1 month, so still lookin round. any tips that arent going to be particularly obvious to me (as this will be my first type r) will be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys. :-D
What is posted in this thread is really useful information. I've only owned my CTR a couple months so my advice isn't that good, but as long as it's been looked after and documented, then you can't go far wrong when all the big issues highlighted in this thread have been ticked off.
By sim667
Great guide thanks a lot!!

Im going to look at a 2005 (55 plate) type r end of this week/early next week...... its got 36,000 on the clock, air con and leather seats. The dealer is offering it to me for £9950, and said they're likely to offer me £4500 for my 04 plate civic 1.6 sport......

Obviously the offer for my car is subject to inspection, but hopefully it will all work out....

Ill print off the details of what i need to check on it, so this thread is fantastic! Thanks again!
By Paul_R
Hello

I'm have been looking a CTR and I am thinking of buying it.

It is a Red 03, however the bumpers seem a slightly different shade of red.

Is this a common problem?

Thanks
By Jalapeno
Paul_R wrote:Hello

Thanks
Unfortunately with Milano red it can be prone to fading where it goes pinkish in colour, this might be what your referring to and yes this is a common problem.
By sim667
sim667 wrote:Great guide thanks a lot!!

Im going to look at a 2005 (55 plate) type r end of this week/early next week...... its got 36,000 on the clock, air con and leather seats. The dealer is offering it to me for £9950, and said they're likely to offer me £4500 for my 04 plate civic 1.6 sport......

Obviously the offer for my car is subject to inspection, but hopefully it will all work out....

Ill print off the details of what i need to check on it, so this thread is fantastic! Thanks again!
Ive been having a look around online, particularly on auto trader and ive found a couple of comparable cars.....
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p Which is a 5 year old, with 36K on the clock

And this one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p and this one which is a 55reg with 35K on the clock.....

Its making me wonder if the garage im talking to are asking a little bit over the odds (i know dealers need to make a profit, but both of the above are trade sellers also)....... The advantage of the one im looking at in the garage in particular is that as a family we've bought 3 cars of them now (civc, jazz, and a crv) and i live literally a 5 min walk from there for services etc...... and there's a year warranty..... Im just wondering if anyone thinks the price they've put on it as unreasonable...... I realise its at the high end, but I dont know masses about cars and would like a bit more advice.
By Robcarly
Hi Guys,

Just joined up as im in the process of looking for an EP3

This information has really helped

Thank you
Rob.
By stuartJDM
Jalapeno wrote:
Paul_R wrote:Hello

Thanks
Unfortunately with Milano red it can be prone to fading where it goes pinkish in colour, this might be what your referring to and yes this is a common problem.
Check its not had a shunt or something just incase. Mines are actually a slightly deeper shade of red. in a certain light. Check panel gaps and headlight alingment if you have any doubts
By Bigpika
hi, im looking to buy a ctr pretty soon, i have a question about the timing chain, does it need changed? i have read that you dont need to change it, but i was looking at an AD for a ctr that had 60k on the clock and the chain had been changed.

Any help is much appreciated :smile:
By alexb1888
Hi guys, I'm considering buying a CTR EP3, I saw one in a local garage for £7K, it's an 04 plate and it's covered 60K I'm just worried about buying a second (or even 3rd hand) EP3, I'm well aware it's no old lady driving to the shops every day, I'm worried in case I buy it and after 2 or 3 months it turns out it has a dozen problems and it won't be covered by any honda warranty. I've went over the the FAQ, what do you guys think? What kind of problems should I look for? if it's been VTEC'd for the full 60K can I expect a lot of problems?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]