The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Go go juice and lubrication.
By Sam_EP3
Hello Mr Oil Guru,

After a very confusing chat over the phone with a technician at my local Honda dealer (he contradicted himself so many times I think he confused himself!!), he ended up recomending then discouraging 3 types of oils ranging from 10w-40 semi 5w-30 full synthetic, and brands ranging from Texaco Havoline, Esso (apparantly they are having trouble sourcing this at the moment?!) Castrol Edge.

Balls to them I say, so im after some proper advice. My '03 CTR has covered 31000m, and was serviced at 24000m. It does mostly motorway miles on the commute to work, and has to endure a few cold early morning starts due to the shifts I work, but its also driven 'enthusiastically' now and again. I want to keep on top of the oil/filter change situation myself, so.........

1. What oil do you recommend, Im guessing Silkolene Pro S 5w 40 is the future after reading through the posts!
2. Whats your opinion of Mobil 1 Super S 10w40? (Halfords are doing it for £24 for 5l!)
3. Will using a 'thinner' oil such as a 5w-40/5w-30 result in a slightly noisier engine operation compared to a 10w40 oil?

Dont ask for much do I!!
Sam
By oilman
Sam,

No probs.

Question 1 = the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 us a top oil, if you want the best then you are looking at this or the Motul 300v 5w-40.

Question 2 = The Mobil 1 Super S 5w-40 is a hydrocracked mineral oil, the better half of a semi synthetic if you like but it is 100% mineral based and not synthetic, hense its price but for what it is... good quality.

Question 3 = No, quite the opposite. A 5w will flow quicker on start up then a 10w making for better cold start protection, when hot the 0w-40 5w-40 and 10w-40 are all the same viscosity. 10w-40 oils tend to be semi, the 0w-40 and 5w-40 tend to be synthetic or classed as one.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Guy.
By Sam_EP3
Thanks mate, ill go check the opie site for silkolene/motul prices now, id rather pay that bit more to know im doing the engine a favour.

sam
By Sam_EP3
Thanks mate, ill go check the opie site for silkolene/motul prices now, id rather pay that bit more to know im doing the engine a favour.

sam
By Sam_EP3
The car is going in for its 50,000/48 month service on the 19/6, but if the oil hasnt been changed since the last service (before I bought the car) its well overdue a change, so im doing an oil/filter change this week. Im going to be getting the Silkolene 5w-40 for the service, but dont want to spend out for it until then as the oil is going to be dropped again in 8 weeks time, so ive been lookin around for some cost effective alternatives...

Carlube Triple R 5w-40 synthetic
Havoline 5w-40 synthetic
Havoline 5w-30 (Energy) synthetic
Mobil Super S 10w-40 semi synthetic

Which of the above would you reccommend as the better short term oil for me to use? (If any! :lol: )
By oilman
To be honest they are all on a similar quality.

They are all mineral based and not true synthetic. The halvoline 5w-40 would probably be my choice.

Cheers

Guy.
By oilman
I think they speak for themselves. The falability of the Falex test is the most startling thing as it bears no similarity to what happens to an oil in an engine.

If I remember correctly, the Silkolene Chemist once told me that milk would beat most oils in the Falex test, I would not put cow juice in my engine though!

Cheers
Simon
By shire-type R
hiya mate iv been using silkoline 0w-30 fully sysntheic should i swap the oil or is it ok to carry on with that?? if i do change oil should i do a complete oil swap? cheers
By shire-type R
actually is carlube 0w-30 oops! not silkoline
Hi all

Im in desperate need of an oil change as well,Just phoned ATS an they will do the change using SHELL HELIX 5W-30 + filter for £40 is this stuff any good they say its one of the best ?

also another question recently ive noticed the gearbox feeling a lil bit clunky,does the gearbox oil feed from the main sump ?

also i cant afford my 50,000 service at the mo ( tooo many holidays he he) would u reccomend putting a fuel additive cleaner (such as redline) thorugh the system to clean valves/injectors just as a temporary fix ? as you can tell im not a mechanic ! he he

Cheers guys

Syy
By oilman
shire-type R wrote:actually is carlube 0w-30 oops! not silkoline
Wich one are you using, the carlube or the silkolene?

Cheers

Guy.
Syy wrote:Hi all

Im in desperate need of an oil change as well,Just phoned ATS an they will do the change using SHELL HELIX 5W-30 + filter for £40 is this stuff any good they say its one of the best ?

also another question recently ive noticed the gearbox feeling a lil bit clunky,does the gearbox oil feed from the main sump ?

also i cant afford my 50,000 service at the mo ( tooo many holidays he he) would u reccomend putting a fuel additive cleaner (such as redline) thorugh the system to clean valves/injectors just as a temporary fix ? as you can tell im not a mechanic ! he he

Cheers guys

Syy
The Shell helix is a mineral based 5w-30 its ok, but not as good as a proper synthetic. And dont bother with any additives, your car will not need them.

Cheers

Guy.
hi oilman,

i just bought my car off a bloke from here he said he put in 0w30 cos of winter. i cant remember what brand it was but i think it was good cos he took care of the car i was jus wondering as its got a bit low can i put some of that silkolene pro s (i think thts the one u use isn't it?) 5w40 in it to toop it up or get another 0w30 oil
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]