The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By cheapskate
You have that Honda guy in the video saying about the 2015 Type R engine: "in order to create the best engine on the market."

They better hope this Volvo engine has some serious flaw or that claim is going to look a bit weak. If Volvo put that in a V40 the fwd ring record won't last long.
By cheapskate
Lewisgame wrote:Not exactly difficult. Bolt a turbo to a k20 and it's an easy 400bhp.
Explain that to Honda who have done that and are only getting 280+
By tuf
we'l have to wait and see if they really do bring it onto the market. In a v40 with a 4wd set up would be pretty good to see.

If they do release one, will it be in the A45 amg price bracket or higher? A45 is already alot of money for a 4pot hatch.
By Lewisgame
cheapskate wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:Not exactly difficult. Bolt a turbo to a k20 and it's an easy 400bhp.
Biggest issue is it has to be Euro 6 compliant. Then there's cost and reliability blah blah.
By cheapskate
Lewisgame wrote:
cheapskate wrote:
Biggest issue is it has to be Euro 6 compliant. Then there's cost and reliability blah blah.
Euro 6 only applies to Honda of course.
By Lewisgame
cheapskate wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:
cheapskate wrote:
Applies to any car sold after September 2015. I wonder when the new Euro 6 compliant Type R will be available...
By cheapskate
pulpmelon_r wrote:This engine has expensive to fix written all over it.
Name the high performance ones that have cheap to fix written on them.
By NHB_EP3_Chris
This!

The electric turbos are coming though and will undoubtedly be the next big thing. We are working with Mahle and Aeristech at the moment to develop motors than can spin at over 100krpm. They no longer need the exhaust to drive the compressor which means no restriction to gas flow so it's much more efficient. The instant response means no turbo lag either, so they give all the benefits of a supercharger and a turbo with very few of of the disadvantages. They did a case study and reckon they can give a 40% power increase on a standard engine compared to a conventional turbo.

http://www.aeristech.co.uk/electric-supercharger
By pulpmelon_r
cheapskate wrote:
Define high performance?
By cheapskate
pulpmelon_r wrote:
cheapskate wrote:
Define high performance?
100 or more hp per litre.
By pulpmelon_r
cheapskate wrote:
pulpmelon_r wrote:
cheapskate wrote:
Define high performance?
100 or more hp per litre.
By your definition anything Honda is high performance and yet cheap to fix. Which is fine by me tbh.

A triple turbo volvo engine is going to be a pain in the arse to diagnose a fault on.
By dandemoraliser
and they did so well with the Focus RS engine........

Also note that this will doubtful end up in a Volvo and more likely a Polestar derivative and cost about 50k +
By dandemoraliser
cheapskate wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:
cheapskate wrote:
Applies to anyone who wants to sell cars to most economies in the world as you well know!
Lewisgame wrote: Applies to any car sold after September 2015. I wonder when the new Euro 6 compliant Type R will be available...
Late 2014 release 2015. Doesn't mean they cant be compliant before then.......most other manufacturers have cars release which are compliant already
By cheapskate
Yes, of course I knew, but I was responding to a statement that seemed to be trying to use Euro 6 as an argument to justify why Honda is 'only' getting 285 hp from what essentially seems to be a turbo'd K20A, instead of the 400 it is claimed anyone else could get. Volvo's 450 hp would presumably be Euro 6 compliant, so the 'Euro 6' argument is really weak as an explanation as to why Honda's new engine should be considered to be the "best engine on the market" - Honda's words - with such a relatively low output.

Reliability is of course a major factor and if the Volvo engine turns out to only survive a week before blowing up when subjected to Ali's driving style, then obviously it wouldn't be very notable, but I suspect it wont be prone to flying apart that often.

There are a host of good 2L engines now with very high outputs, so it's either monumental hubris on the part of Honda to claim the new one is the best on the market, or we haven't been told the full story in terms of its real output.

The F20C engine in the S2000 is an amazing engine and could live up to a claim of 'best on the market'.

I am hoping the new Type R and its engine are actually epic and that the quoted numbers are very conservative. I think they will have to be if Honda wants to hold the fwd ring record for more than a week or two.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]