The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Reviews, News & rumours relating to all things Honda.
By silvagti
Loads of reviews out on all of the usual places :-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... ealed.html

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/Fir ... c)/260227/

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/27576 ... ealed.html

It looks stunning and sounds like a lot of fun but it's dissapointing that the 'budget' £20k Toyota sports car has now been given a £30k price tag which makes it look seriously underpowered and out-classed when put up against cars like the Nissan 370Z and BMW 135 coupe.

I still want to test drive one though :)
By EvoStu
I'm more than a little disappointed after seeing the concepts up close and personal. They've really toned it down and the front now looks like a Proton. :sad: And those rear lights....WTF......its like a throw back to a Corsa with Lexus lights.

And the price. WOW! Initial rrp set to £20K and the new rrp.........£28K starting price!!!!!

Hmmmm. GT86 or Second hand Cayman S?
By sn:afu
Oh what a let down, why couldn't they have just made the concept car the production car :bad-words:
By Mark83
EvoStu wrote:I'm more than a little disappointed after seeing the concepts up close and personal. They've really toned it down and the front now looks like a Proton. :sad: And those rear lights....WTF......its like a throw back to a Corsa with Lexus lights.

And the price. WOW! Initial rrp set to £20K and the new rrp.........£28K starting price!!!!!

Hmmmm. GT86 or Second hand Cayman S?
Tough one :lol:

Or of you want a new car, 370Z.
By djtopa
IMO Concept looked a lot better.Rear end with that Lexus style lights is allready out of date :roll: (I think Subaru will look better)
On the other side I think its great that thay made such a car in this era of heavy cars.
Honda wake up!How come Toyota & Subaru can make N/A drivers car and Honda cannot :twisted:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/1 ... ore-420117
By Superbully
Stu - your OP reminds me allot of the Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Like those genesis although the price tag is about 35,000€ over here, so.... no....

By yella
Its shafted itself at £28k

I mean thats, BMW 125i Coupe, BMW Z4, Nissan 370z, Golf Edition 35, Audi TT and so on Money

And when you go to battle with those lot and have a digital clock on the dash from the 1980's , you are going to have a few problems persuading people to pay for it

By EvoStu
Superbully wrote:Stu - your OP reminds me allot of the Hyundai Genesis coupe.
One of the most underrated cars in the world. The top 3.8 V6 is a hell of a car (306BHP) with rwd and LSD. :cool:
By sjw
yella wrote:Its shafted itself at £28k
I mean thats, BMW 125i Coupe, BMW Z4, Nissan 370z, Golf Edition 35, Audi TT and so on Money
I'm not getting the value for money arguments.

The Toyota is two litres, 197bhp, 1180kg, ~28k.

The poverty spec Z4 is two litres, 184bhp, 1480kg, £29,480.

The poverty spec front wheel drive TT is two litres, 208bhp, 1295kg, £27,140

Why would any Golf, in a frock or otherwise, be worth GT86 money? A basic Golf is a 16 grand car. SEAT think an uglier Golf with the turbo turned up to 11 is worth 26k and people think that's value?

The 370Z is looking quite bargainous at the moment - though that's because they can't sell the things, because they are too expensive to tax and fuel. It might not feel as if it was quite so much of a bargain when you try to trade it in, either. While the Nissan will be quicker than the Toyota and make a nicer noise, I suspect that the Toyota is going to have much nicer handling. I thought our RX-8 was a better driver's car than our 350Z is, despite the difference in straight line go, and I expect that the GT86 will stack up against the 370Z similarly.

I think the performance is adequate - it's going to be about as quick as an EP3. I think they'll sell fewer at 28k than they would at 20k, of course they will, they'd sell even more if they priced it at £2.50, and it's a shame that a lot of potential buyers will be priced out of the market, but if that's what Toyota have to sell it at to make money on it, that's how it is. If you don't want to pay the premium for a rear drive chassis specifically (and expensively) developed for this kind of car, buy a mass produced hatchback instead, where the development costs are shared with hundreds of thousands of diesel shopping cars.
By yella
sjw wrote:

Why would any Golf, in a frock or otherwise, be worth GT86 money? A basic Golf is a 16 grand car. SEAT think an uglier Golf with the turbo turned up to 11 is worth 26k and people think that's value?

The 370Z is looking quite bargainous at the moment - though that's because they can't sell the things, because they are too expensive to tax and fuel. It might not feel as if it was quite so much of a bargain when you try to trade it in, either. While the Nissan will be quicker than the Toyota and make a nicer noise, I suspect that the Toyota is going to have much nicer handling. I thought our RX-8 was a better driver's car than our 350Z is, despite the difference in straight line go, and I expect that the GT86 will stack up against the 370Z similarly.

I think the performance is adequate - it's going to be about as quick as an EP3. I think they'll sell fewer at 28k than they would at 20k, of course they will, they'd sell even more if they priced it at £2.50, and it's a shame that a lot of potential buyers will be priced out of the market, but if that's what Toyota have to sell it at to make money on it, that's how it is. If you don't want to pay the premium for a rear drive chassis specifically (and expensively) developed for this kind of car, buy a mass produced hatchback instead, where the development costs are shared with hundreds of thousands of diesel shopping cars.

the 125i is not poverty spec, that m sport so comes with loads of standard features, a nice straight 6 engine that can be derestricted to same as 130i with a map,

How can you compare the two, and i tell you that the 135i is only 31k too, that car is in a complelty different league to the GT86

If you can;t see that the GT86 is overpriced then you obviously have way too much money
By EvoStu
yella wrote:
sjw wrote:

the 125i is not poverty spec, that m sport so comes with loads of standard features, a nice straight 6 engine that can be derestricted to same as 130i with a map,

How can you compare the two, and i tell you that the 135i is only 31k too, that car is in a complelty different league to the GT86

If you can;t see that the GT86 is overpriced then you obviously have way too much money
I would say with that comment maybe you have too much money? But maybe that wasn't the way you meant it to come across?
By sjw
Sorry, forgot the 125i.

218bhp, 1480kg, £27,115

You know what would improve that BMW? Dropping 300kg. I'd happily lose 21bhp for that.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]