The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By grindninja
HowStuffWorks wrote:Clutch Diagnostic Test

If you find that your clutch has failed, here is an at-home diagnostic test that anyone can perform:

1.Start your car, set the parking break, and put the car in neutral.

2.With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something, it's most likely a problem with the transmission. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step three.

3.With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.

4.Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.
Well this really worries me...because mines number 2. Great.
By grindninja
No the sound on mine is when the clutch pedal is not pressed down. When I'm driving along in gear or idling in neutral.
By Marxx
grindninja wrote:No the sound on mine is when the clutch pedal is not pressed down. When I'm driving along in gear or idling in neutral.
On my same thing..when the car was on the lift and when I put it into gear(1,2,3)sound is gone,only when the car is on the road the sound is there.. :scratch:
By grindninja
Have a look at this mate....

I've now watched A LOT of videos that all say the same. Constant noise when clutch pedal is not pressed down IS the thrust bearing. Noise goes away when you press down on the pedal.

I'm turning up my stereo and ignoring it like a very knowledgable chap on here advised me to. Change it when you change the clutch.
By Marxx
grindninja wrote:Have a look at this mate....

I've now watched A LOT of videos that all say the same. Constant noise when clutch pedal is not pressed down IS the thrust bearing. Noise goes away when you press down on the pedal.

I'm turning up my stereo and ignoring it like a very knowledgable chap on here advised me to. Change it when you change the clutch.
This is how to diagnose it....THROWOUT BEARING
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and press in the clutch
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the THROWOUT BEARING. If you release the clutch, the noise should go away

The reason it makes the noise like this is because when you have your foot off the clutch, the throwout bearing is not spinning, and it has no force on it. But when you push the clutch in, the throwout bearing forces the fingers on the pressure plate in, causing the clutch to release. The bearing is spinning however fast the motor is turning at this time. So if the bearing is bad, it will make noise.

This is how to diagnose it.....INPUT SHAFT BEARING
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and take your foot off the clutch pedal
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the INPUT SHAFT BEARING. if you press in the clutch, the noise should go away.

The reason for this is because when you have the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) the motor is spinning the input shaft on the transmission (even when in neutral). The bearing has a plastic cage inside of it that holds the small ball-bearings equidistant apart. This plastic cage can be broken by even a completely stock car, if it is driven hard (shifting hard, running sticky tires, etc). When this plastic cage breaks, the ball bearings load up one side of the bearing. This allows the input shaft to walk side to side slightly, which causes the gears to not mesh up right. This causes a whining and growling sound. But when you press in the clutch, the input shaft stops spinning, so the noise goes away.
By grindninja
I'm beginning to hate my car. :bad-words:

Looks like its input shaft bearing for mine then? Can this damage the gearbox or anything else? The noise is driving me crazy so I may just have to get it fixed whatever.

Cheers for helping Marxx
By Marxx
grindninja wrote:I'm beginning to hate my car. :bad-words:

Looks like its input shaft bearing for mine then? Can this damage the gearbox or anything else? The noise is driving me crazy so I may just have to get it fixed whatever.

Cheers for helping Marxx
No problem mate.. :salut:
One member is changed bearings in the trany and the noise is still there..check the link..

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showt ... ding-Noise
By grindninja
:shock:

So really, to fix the problem you must change ALL bearings, diff and engine mount inserts???!!!! I don't have that much money!!

I'll just have to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or starts to affect performance then I'll get something done about it but I can't afford a gearbox rebuild!!

What are you going to do about it?
By Marxx
grindninja wrote::shock:

So really, to fix the problem you must change ALL bearings, diff and engine mount inserts???!!!! I don't have that much money!!

I'll just have to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or starts to affect performance then I'll get something done about it but I can't afford a gearbox rebuild!!

What are you going to do about it?
I ordered Energy suspension engine mounts,driveshaft bearing..First I will try that..and I see.. :bigcry:
By Marxx
grindninja wrote:Cool man, best of luck, hope you fix it!

Let me know what happens :thumbup:
Thanks mate! :thumbup:
By TYPE-R-TONY
I've just had the same problem on my CTR it turned out to be the bearings in the gearbox.According to the guys at my local main dealers giving it the full beans in first gear tends to see off the input shaft and main shaft bearings at an early age.So I had them replaced and all is sorted now.whisper quiet and no grinding.If your going to get it sorted may I suggest getting an LSD at the same time. :cool:
By grindninja
TYPE-R-TONY wrote:I've just had the same problem on my CTR it turned out to be the bearings in the gearbox.According to the guys at my local main dealers giving it the full beans in first gear tends to see off the input shaft and main shaft bearings at an early age.So I had them replaced and all is sorted now.whisper quiet and no grinding.If your going to get it sorted may I suggest getting an LSD at the same time. :cool:
Fantastic dude. Glad you got it sorted!!

Heres the big question.... How much did it cost to get your bearings changed?
Did you get it done by Honda?
By iamthestig
I had this problem with my car i took it into the stealers and they said it was the clutch release bearing and wanted £750 to replace the clutch luckily I tried the clutch release bearing test and called their bluff after alot of investigation and nagging I got Honda uk to replace the gearbox they also replaced the clutch after a mechanic slipped up and told me there was a leak on the driveshaft seal which ruined my clutch After this was all done the noise was still there but alot quiter than what it was I removed the driveshaft heat shield to eliminate that wich made no difference I Then replaced the front engine mount and put es inserts in the front and rear mount and that also made a difference I have an exhaust now and I can't hear it whatsoever wich is great .
By Marxx
TYPE-R-TONY wrote:I've just had the same problem on my CTR it turned out to be the bearings in the gearbox.According to the guys at my local main dealers giving it the full beans in first gear tends to see off the input shaft and main shaft bearings at an early age.So I had them replaced and all is sorted now.whisper quiet and no grinding.If your going to get it sorted may I suggest getting an LSD at the same time. :cool:
How much you changed bearings in the transmision all of them or just input shaft bearings? :vconf:
Last edited by Marxx on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sa08
iamthestig wrote:I have an exhaust now and I can't hear it whatsoever wich is great .
You didn't have an exhaust before!!? No wonder it was making a racket! :wink:
By TYPE-R-TONY
When mine were replaced the stealers replaced the 2 main shaft bearings and the 2 input shaft bearings as well as replace the slipping clutch.Grand total just over £800.
By grindninja
Awesome dude, cheers for that. Thanks for the PM too!

i was just being impatient! :oops:

.....where the feck am I getting £800 from then. I may have to man-whore myself again.
By Marxx
TYPE-R-TONY wrote:When mine were replaced the stealers replaced the 2 main shaft bearings and the 2 input shaft bearings as well as replace the slipping clutch.Grand total just over £800.
Have you had the same noise when slowing down in gears(Engine braking)as mine? :vconf:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]