The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Bhp or Beefy Sounds...
By mezmo
For those of you that have this exhaust, what's your opinion in looks and sound? Is it loud, deep, raspy etc?

Also, will it benefit basic bolt ons (mani, inlet, cai, exhaust, ecu) or will power be lost due to the 3" size?
By *nub*
mezmo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm wrote:For those of you that have this exhaust, what's your opinion in looks and sound? Is it loud, deep, raspy etc?

Also, will it benefit basic bolt ons (mani, inlet, cai, exhaust, ecu) or will power be lost due to the 3" size?
I don't have one but I know they are reasonably quiet and track day friendly with the large silencer/backbox fitted. As for looks it's just a basic looking backbox IIRC. You won't lose power, you will gain throughout the rev range. Ground clearance can potentially be an issue if you're lowered although they do a good job of getting it as high up as possible (as high as a 3" can go)

Personally I wouldn't bother unless you're getting cams and aiming for over 250-260bhp. Simply because you can achieve 245-250 BHP with a tegiwa or any other 2.5"
By Lewisgame
I have a solid fab 3 inch system that's very similar from what I've seen. It's quiet enough for track. Bit too loud for every day use really. Drones a lot at motorway speed.
By mezmo
Lewisgame » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm wrote:I have a solid fab 3 inch system that's very similar from what I've seen. It's quiet enough for track. Bit too loud for every day use really. Drones a lot at motorway speed.
Do you catch yours on speed bumps etc Lewis? Is it silenced/us silenced?

Cheers
By mezmo
*nub* » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 pm wrote:
mezmo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm wrote:For those of you that have this exhaust, what's your opinion in looks and sound? Is it loud, deep, raspy etc?

I don't have one but I know they are reasonably quiet and track day friendly with the large silencer/backbox fitted. As for looks it's just a basic looking backbox IIRC. You won't lose power, you will gain throughout the rev range. Ground clearance can potentially be an issue if you're lowered although they do a good job of getting it as high up as possible (as high as a 3" can go)

Personally I wouldn't bother unless you're getting cams and aiming for over 250-260bhp. Simply because you can achieve 245-250 BHP with a tegiwa or any other 2.5"
Thanks mate. Nub, if I was running a 3" b pipe with silencer, and a Spoon N1 back box, would there be much difference in noise output, and do you think the N1 would be restrictive? I know the oem is good for 300 bhp before becoming restrictive so was hoping the N1 would be ok!
By *nub*
mezmo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:11 pm wrote:
*nub* » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 pm wrote:

Thanks mate. Nub, if I was running a 3" b pipe with silencer, and a Spoon N1 back box, would there be much difference in noise output, and do you think the N1 would be restrictive? I know the oem is good for 300 bhp before becoming restrictive so was hoping the N1 would be ok!
3" b pipe with spoon N1 back box would be stupidly loud. I expect the N1 would not restrict anything though

In order to get any 3" system reasonable, they put literally the largest silencer and then the largest backbox that could possibly fit under the EP3. Even then it's still not quiet. and its the decat mani i.e. loss of the OEM cat that makes it even louder.
By baddohc
My 3" solid fabs exhaust is really quiet. Sometimes I wish it was a bit louder.
By Lewisgame
mezmo wrote:
Lewisgame » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm wrote:I have a solid fab 3 inch system that's very similar from what I've seen. It's quiet enough for track. Bit too loud for every day use really. Drones a lot at motorway speed.
Do you catch yours on speed bumps etc Lewis? Is it silenced/us silenced?

Cheers
Depends on how low you are. At first I used to catch it everywhere, but now I've raised the car slightly it doesn't really catch. Them funny speed humps that are only in the middle of the road are impossible to take normally.
It's the quietest system solid fab make. The rear box is massive. It's quieter than my previous silenced Piper system. Low revs and light throttle it's pretty quiet and civilised. On the motorway I find you have to be doing either 60 or 80+ to reduce the drone, which can be annoying... Well I don't mind, the misses however hates it.
By baddohc
I've got the normal one not super silent and it is very quiet. Even with an open filter the exhaust is not loud. Its the fujitsubo style back box.
My mate had the older solid fab exhaust with the wide oval box, that was louder then mine by quite a fair bit and raspy.

Very good ground and speed hump clearance, im down about 50mm on coilovers
By w6ady
Would there be any difference in gains between the solid fabrications catback and the tdi north catback? Have seen the super silenced solid fabrications one with titanium tip and think it looks very nice. I know the tdi north one gives good gains but prefer the look of the solid fab one.
By w6ady
Spoke to Alan at solid fabrications today and you can have the welds back purged on the catback it's extra money but he said the same as Lewis that on a catback there is no need as it's just for strength. He also mentioned that on his manifolds he back purges them as they take a lot more stress and vibration.
By *nub*
Fair enough. Yeah he also told me the same that he doesn't back purge unless requested. Tdi North actually told me they investigated some welds on the inside and they weren't good but that's just hearsay.
By solid-fab
Hi there folks

Yes we can back purge all our welds if the customer requests it but we normally just back purge all our manifold, headers, downpipes and dumptubes. We don't really see the need to back purge regular exhaust welds but we can if it is something a customer really wants.

We warranty all our work anyway.

If you want to see more of our work including close up of welds then follow us on instagram Solid fab

Regards

Alan
By AdamB92
*nub* » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:40 pm wrote:Fair enough. Yeah he also told me the same that he doesn't back purge unless requested. Tdi North actually told me they investigated some welds on the inside and they weren't good but that's just hearsay.
I guess that just comes down to how good the penetration is on the weld in the first place, which is down to the user to setup the machine correctly.

I'm hoping to place an order with Solid Fab for an exhaust tomorrow once I've been paid.
They recommended the super silent system for me, trackday use and with the potential to opt for a race header later on, with the noise limit at around 94 db.
By Lewisgame
I don't know if anyone else has experience this issue, it's the only one. But the solid fab rear exhaust box is massive! It clears everything... When cold. When you're going flat out on track, the exhaust expands a good inch in length and the top of the rear box hits the rear crash bar behind the bumper. I've had to take a grinder to the rear crash bar to prevent it from hitting.
By *nub*
my silencer was hitting the chassis somewhere, went back and alan adjusted it free of charge. Ive since had the cat back off again and refitted by someone else and it needs adjusting again, but I can't bothered atm. :Hihi:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]