The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By SiEP3
Looking to make an order soon, but one of the things I'd do on ordering is have the rear wing removed (to be attached for ring visits). The type R would look awesome enough without it and I think it will still perform and TBH I'm looking for something a bit more stealthy.
The dealership I'm speaking to is really helpful and understandgood and it I know does have aerodynamic benefit, however they won't actually deliver a car without the wing attached - for legal reasons. I'd need to get it removed on my own.

Has anyone else considered this, but more importantly, does anyone have any confirmation from Honda with regards to warranty/accident issues on this?

Any feedback welcome.

PS. Example look

By Akula_Type-R
are you kidding ? that wing has its own function.

Honda can not 'give the car without wing....
By SiEP3
I know the wing gives some downforce, however, don't forget the civic sport does 134mph without a big wing.

So it should still be pretty stable.
By *nub*
Probably would affect the warranty wouldn't it ? You'd have to ask Honda to confirm because I can assure you nobody else has considered doing it [emoji4]
By Dragonfall
Easy way round this!

Buy a 1.6 Diesel, stick some Phat Boy wheels on it. Buy 4x chrome exhausts tips from Halfords and gaffa tape them discreetly to the rear bumper.

Proper stealth! :Rolleyes: :LOL:

The Civic's whole design from every angle is anything other than stealth. A Golf R or Focus RS surely would suit the bill better?
By SiEP3
Without the wing, in black would be aggressive without being too obvious ... thinking similar to rs3 level of styling

Ps. Don't like the golf or focus, although the heated windscreen from the focus would be great!
By Lewisgame
Clearly a joke right?
The wing works with the rest of the aero package (front splitter, flat bottom and rear diffuser) to create negative lift so at high speeds you don't fly off the road and die.
You can't compare it to the Civic sport as it doesn't have any aero development compared to the Type R.
If you're not intending to drive the Type R for what it's designed for then why do you want it? Just buy the Sport and put big wheels and quad exhausts on it.
By SiEP3
I'd like all the aspects of performance but between 0-80mph.

Not sure the wing really comes into effect until 80+mph, and then it looks like it aids with airflow to minimise drag at high speed which makes sense, if you check the wings profile it doesn't really look like its set up for downforce.
I'll continue to think this until Honda release figures.

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
V-TEC wrote:Just buy a tailgate from the lesser model and switch it around.
That is the plan, to use the sport spoiler.

Added in 27 seconds:
V-TEC wrote:Just buy a tailgate from the lesser model and switch it around.
That is the plan, to use the sport spoiler.
By sammo303
SiEP3 wrote:Not sure the wing really comes into effect until 80+mph, and then it looks like it aids with airflow to minimise drag at high speed which makes sense, if you check the wings profile it doesn't really look like its set up for downforce.
I'll continue to think this until Honda release figures.
This observation is based on angle of the wing presumably? A wing does not act like a scoop and should not have a rakish angle otherwise the drag would be unacceptable.

Think of it as an upside-down airplane wing. Airplane wings aren't terribly angled yet we know they can shift enough air to lift a lot of weight and many aircraft have take off speeds below 80mph.

I don't mind what you do so long as you drive safely, but did feel the urge to point out that intuition and aerodynamics aren't often the best of friends and I'd hate for you or others to be hurt in an accident based on presumptions that I expect are heavily flawed. No offence intended.
By SiEP3
Thanks Sammo good points, first of all I'm only speaking on behalf of my own intentions here just to make that clear, safe driving/modding goes out to everyone on the forum.

I'll need to personally write to Honda on this, if anything just to clarify wrt to warranty etc. I was just interested to know if anyone else had asked the question.

Honda themselves haven't released any figures on downforce which would be interesting to know. There is a difference between downforce and drag, the marketing stuff does state that it is a negative lift car, however the flat underbody and diffuser alone if done correctly could provide negative lift, I just wonder how much additional negative lift the wing provides as speed increases , or whether it helps more with reducing drag (and minimal lift) at high speed at say 160mph, I would think at that sort of speed the benefits of low drag far outweigh even more downforce, its also a fixed wing (not active aero like a real wing where you can effectively change lift characteristics to vary with speed ) so the difference in downforce achieved at 70mph the max speed is considerably less than at full speed.

No doubt Honda have done enough work on that for us not to worry about that, but as I said, I personally doubt it would make the car unstable at public uk road speeds without it.
And yes I state again that is purely my own (possibly incorrect) opinion.

Will update when I get a response from Honda.
By Helmigurt
The problem could be that driving it at higher speeds could lead to dangerous behavior as the bodykit may work in conjunction with the wing. Remember the first generation TT where Audi had to retrofit the optional wing to all models as driving it over 100 mph was really dangerous. As I don't think Honda ever tested the car without the wing they will never give you their blessing. It may just work or it may be dangerous - Honda may not even know!
By VT-Doo
If you want to blend in with everything else on the road I think you'd be better with a VW or Audi. Their R & RS range looks just like their run-of-the mill cars.

IMHO the wing needs to be on the car. It has a function. Why buy a car to make it worse?
Seriously though, how would you feel if you lost the back end and something untoward happened?
By kinky_boy
remove it yourself, fix the holes to look good and sell the wing to some regular civic guy because Honda for sure will not deliver without the wing since it is not an optional and the price will be the same with or without it ... i don't think you will have any safety issues using it at public road speed :Smile:
By Vissa
Man I can't find the video anymore, but there was a test with a older model Civic if I'm correct with and without spoiler.

Without the spoiler the car was very VERY unstable and dangerous to drive at higher speeds. This wing is on the car with a reason, it's designed so, I wouldn't take it off.

Only if you are going drive the car where it's not build for, as a granny.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]